Swedish Flower Hen eggs SO small!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by texasmomof2, Jul 8, 2016.

1. texasmomof2

texasmomof2 New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    they are just so tiny! When we researched them we found info stating that their eggs are large and will start small but then get bigger. They've been laying for 6 weeks or more and the size is still the same.
    Is this just the size Swedish flower hens will lay or do they get bigger? I have to use 2 of them to equal 1 Rhode Island Red hen egg. Our Rooser is also a Swedish Flower and we wanted to raise Flower Hens but now I'm thinking I should just give them away and only buy Reds :-/
    Any advice? Thanks!

2. texasmomof2

texasmomof2 New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Here the picture to show the difference in egg size (lighter egg is flower hen larger egg is Red hen)

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I don't think they're ever going to consistently hit the size of a Red's egg. Reds have been bred for large eggs for hundreds of generations. SFH have not, they've developed to be little survivors instead. They've only been laying for 6 weeks, the eggs will get larger over the next few months. But if you're looking for production size and rate of lay, you'll need to go with a production breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by