Swedish Flower Hen with Upper Beak Tip Broken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kallan, Jan 14, 2014.

1. kallan

kallan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2013
    Hardy, VA
    I've only had my 16 week old Ingrid SFH for a month now. I noticed her beak soon after I brought her home and have been keeping an eye on it. She eats normally, but I am afraid she will damage it further. Should I put something on this or let it heal naturally? I can see various layers and the middle is more shallow creating an upward dip. How about some coconut oil to keep it from drying out and cracking further? Any comments will be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If she is eating okay she will probably be fine as long as it is only the tip of the beak. Of course a little coconut oil would not hurt if she doesn't mind.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It looks like she may have been debeaked.

4. kallan

Sep 18, 2013
    Hardy, VA
    I put a little coconut oil on it and will keep a watchful eye. The young roo has been getting aggressive with the young hens so he may have injured her. I am going to separate him for a while until he behaves.

5. kallan

Sep 18, 2013
    Hardy, VA
    The person I bought them from only has a small flock and none of her birds are debeaked. Her beak was not like this as a very young chick either. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it heals. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by