Swedish Flower Hens....what to do with extra cockerals?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by klf73, Jun 13, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    My first batch is getting way too big. I have 2 pullets and 6 cockerals [​IMG] . I am thinking about keeping 3 cockerals for now, just because I really like 3 of them. I just dont' know what to do with the other 3??? I have such a hard time giving my other ones away and I don't want these beautiful boys to be eaten....so, what to do? [​IMG]

2. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    I would think as rare as they are, some one would be willing to take them. Make it known on the SFH thread, and maybe in the "Buy-Sell-Auction" section.

3. Tommie D

Tommie D Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    Wichita KS
    Do you have any pictures of the boy's ?

4. alohachickens

alohachickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would love to buy the RIGHT boy for my program . . . working on an "American" version of the Swedish Flower Hens. I started this project before Greenfire Farms imported them, and even though now we have Swedish Flower hens in the US, I really like my "home grown" chickies! Hearty, good layers, cute and friendly and smart. But, they are too small. [​IMG]

Check out my pretty gals here!

http://alohachickens.webs.com/april2011.htm

Fun colors - need to be bigger. I have several different colors that I'm working on, one that I'd really love to get would look like a Mille Fleur D'Uccle but bigger and with a regular chicken body, big and round with no feathery legs. "Cleo" is the closest; she's about 4 pounds, maybe, bigger than Banty but not large. Needs more size, lighter gold, less black, and bigger spangling. But - getting closer! I have some huge Buff Rock bloodlines and some Speckled Sussex that I'll be crossing in the next generation, to try and fix these things:

[​IMG]

My "dream outcross" Swedish Flower roo would be light in color, single big comb, no crest, and BIG. Preferably buff mottled or light red mottled. I'd be happy to pay about $100 (with shipping) for the right Swedish Flower rooster for this project! Unfortunately, I'm in Phoenix, and it will be 108 tomorrow. They don't like to ship when it is this hot. Could be late September of October before we can ship here. ARGH, what a bummer.

Bottom line, try to sell those extra roosters, if they are nice! Would be fun to see pics. Share pics of all your boys, they look different. That's why I love the Alohas here, you never know what you're going to get and each one is unique. Makes it a blast to watch them grow. I am still getting new colors with every batch!

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I will get pics soon.
    I probably have one that would fit your needs [​IMG]

6. alohachickens

alohachickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Awesome, keep me posted! Might be September before live shipments are allowed to come through Phoenix, though.

Hatching lots of new babies in the meantime! I just pulled 39 baby chicks out of the brooder here, WOW.

Hey, I'd love to see photos of your Swedish Flowers - both boys and girls!

Here are a few of my one-month olds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the little gold mottled one on the far right on this bottom pic - hope it's a girl, if it's a boy will be too small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by