Swedish Flower Hens

Hi, mine turned out to be just 2 pullets, the mostly black with white underneath and the black crested one (on the photo with all the chicks, its the far right next to the brahma)the other 3 are all boys! managed to home 2 of them and kept the mostly white one. I got my eggs from a breeder in surrey (I'm in the UK) I assume you are in USA? I'm no expert! I had mine feather DNA tested as I was tired of guessing! Yours could be either at this stage but the comb and wattles look quite red and large for a pullet but as I said I'm no expert! but as my black and white one has grown her comb and wattles are fairly large for a girl, but the crested one hardly has a comb at all, it is so difficult to sex these birds I think as they are all so different, I'll take some photos and post them later today if that helps! Carole

Thanks for the update! Wow, that's a lot of boys! I would love to see pictures as I know they feather out so very differently. Yes, I am in the USA. I am certain without a doubt that mine is a boy... the one above... every day the saddle and hackle feathers are more and more clear. And, this morning he was crowing obnoxiously. I have a 1 year 6 month SFH hen so it is tempting to keep him, but not sure I want another rooster.

My male SFH is getting very threatening to me. Anyone else have this problem.

Sorry to hear that. I am sure each rooster is as much an individual as anyone else so bummer that you got an aggressive one. I have been under the impression that SFH roosters are generally not mean, but there are certainly some bound to be. Try "rooster taming" and perhaps that will be effective. I have read and done this with my own rooster, when they threaten, I grab them and force them to be submissive with me. I will carry them around, bring them in the house, force them to be a lap bird, let other folks pet him, etc. It worked for me but that is 1 for 1 so you see I have very limited experience. I wish you luck with this!

Thanks for the update! Wow, that's a lot of boys! I would love to see pictures as I know they feather out so very differently. Yes, I am in the USA. I am certain without a doubt that mine is a boy... the one above... every day the saddle and hackle feathers are more and more clear. And, this morning he was crowing obnoxiously. I have a 1 year 6 month SFH hen so it is tempting to keep him, but not sure I want another rooster.

Hi took the following photos this afternoon, my cockerel Dave is a bit timid if you try to catch him but will stand by your feet and let me touch him if I bend down to him, the girl with the crest (Tilly) is timid,I have to trim the feathers on her crest round her eyes as it obscures her vision and I feel this makes her even more nervous when she doesn't see you coming! The black and white one (Esme) is a complete softy and comes in the house at every opportunity she is so tame and friendly, you can see her comb and wattles are quite big for a girl! She follows me everywhere, usually for food! I know what you mean about keeping roosters I have 5 so far and 2 lemon Cuckoo Niederrheiner chicks that look suspect too!
P1020808.JPG
P1020811.JPG
P1020812.JPG
P1020828.JPG
P1020816.JPG

Sorry to hear that. I am sure each rooster is as much an individual as anyone else so bummer that you got an aggressive one. I have been under the impression that SFH roosters are generally not mean, but there are certainly some bound to be. Try "rooster taming" and perhaps that will be effective. I have read and done this with my own rooster, when they threaten, I grab them and force them to be submissive with me. I will carry them around, bring them in the house, force them to be a lap bird, let other folks pet him, etc. It worked for me but that is 1 for 1 so you see I have very limited experience. I wish you luck with this!

Hi I agree with Sagenovese, I have had all my roosters try to dominate me, running at me sideways and pecking my wellies! I pick them up and walk round the paddock with them in front of their girls to show him I am the boss and not him, then put them back down after about 5 minutes and they just walk off, my SFH rooster has just started trying to side walk me and I just point my finger at him and say no and he stops but it's not really threatening from him I don't think as he is quite timid and runs like hell if I try to pick him up! Hope you can tame him.

How did your chicks turn out? Just the one roo? I was also wondering if that white/gray/brown one was a roo. I have 10 week old SFH cockerel... I am sure it is a cockerel as it crowed yesterday but it has had big red comb/wattles that popped out between 6 and 7 weeks old. Also, SFH breeders told me that white chicks tend to be boys and his first feathering was mostly white... he has sprouted more dark feathers since. I bought mine from a hatchery and they keep telling me this is a pullet. I don't see a pullet here. But maybe after your experience you will see differently?

You have so many crested! I have none crested but hope to eventually. Where did you get yours? View attachment 1170291 View attachment 1170310 View attachment 1170311
Definitely a cockerel

Back
Top Bottom