swedish hen or drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chicken stalker, Dec 9, 2008.

1. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    As the months roll on I still can't be certain if I have a male or female swedish duck. When I recued it, they thought it was a drake. BYC members thought it was a female. Now I'm totally confused....it quacks, no distinct curly feathers...though there is one that recently appeared but i'm not sure if it is truely curled or out of place. No eggs...age is bewteen 1 to 2 years possibly.

Anyone out there that has the splash coloring could you post a pic of you hen and/or drake for comparision. Thanks sooo much. I have a pic at my site.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Sorry, I don't have blue swedish, but if it makes the actual 'quack quack' sound, and not a whispery noise, then it is definitely a duck. Mine aren't laying yet either, but they should once the days get longer. How long have you had her?

3. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    I've had her for a couple months but I think she's about a year or so. I want to get a mate for her in the spring so its essential to know which sex to get.....I don't want to end up with two drakes. Are there a lot of curly drake feathers or just a couple?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    There's one for sure, but mine all have 3. I think that's the norm. I have cayugas, pekins, and rouens, so size-wise they're about the same.

5. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    If it's a hen, it will usually give a series of short, stacatto quacks when it approaches it's food. The quacks are loud and quite short. If a drake, it's call is sort of a raspy, whispery quack, and the quacks are much longer than those of a hen. Hope this helps.

Oh---Drakes only have 2-3 feathers that curl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by