Swedish pekin duck can't use her legs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by polishchickies, Apr 18, 2018.

1. polishchickies

polishchickies New Egg

Apr 18, 2018
    This has been going on for about 2 weeks now. We originally saw her in the pond not moving, but we recently took her out because she got stuck in the brush and was too weak to get out. She isn't eating, and she will drink but usually not on her own unless she's really thirsty. We've tried giving her vitamins in her water, but so far she's not gotten any better. I don't think she's in serious pain, but this is no life for a duck. We have her inside in a plastic bin. I REALLY don't want to put her down, but I want to do what's best for her, and if we have to, we will :(. Any help? Thanks.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Any chance of a vet?

Do you know when she laid last? Could be infection of some kind how does her poop look?
    If she isn't eating she'll go down fast so you might consider tube feeding @casportpony can help there.

casportpony likes this.
  3. polishchickies

polishchickies New Egg

Apr 18, 2018
    She hasn't eaten much for the past 2 weeks, I think. She hasn't laid since last year, and her poo is only diarrhea. I don't think we can afford to take her to the vet (that's what my mom said.) And we don't even know if they can do anything for her or if they treat ducks.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  4. Pekin Ducks are meat Birds and can fail once beyond actual butcher age..Not great pet Ducks and if kept as pets need consistency in feed to keep them as pets...

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she's been off her feed for two weeks I would be suspicious of a bacterial infection, protozoal infection, worms, vitamin deficient, or a combination of those. Not eating for two weeks is pretty serious, and she probably lost lots of weight and is dehydrated. Of course a vet would be best, but if you can't do that there are other things you could try, though it will require lots or work.

If she were mine I would start by bringing her inside where it's warm because almost all sick birds will be hypothermic. A room that's 80-85 degrees f is ideal for most sick birds.

Once warm I would weigh her then tube warmed fluids (Pedialyte) at 15 ml per pound, wait 60-90 minutes and repeat, then one more time in 2-4 hours.

I would also start her on antibiocs.

Once warn and hydrated I would start her on some vitamins and tube feed Kaytee Exact baby bird food.

Let me know if this is something you want to try and I will help you.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I know others on here who have Pekins over 5 yrs old but like casportpony says she could have an infection going on no way of knowing for sure.

They make awesome pet ducks they are sweet and happy ducks.

7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I assume you inspected her for injuries? Wounds of any sort? Can you think of anything in the pond that she could get injured on? Or make her sick to eat? Turtles maybe biting her? Etc. Is she with drakes, and few enough drakes that they aren't over-mating her? Any possible human interference? Poisons, insecticides, etc?

I'm sorry for your troubles. Just trying to think of any other possibilities beyond those already mentioned.

onaharley, Miss Lydia and casportpony like this.
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    :goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost: Yeah, I always forget to mention that they should be checked from head to toe for injuries. :oops:

onaharley, Miss Lydia and WVduckchick like this.
  9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    We're a good team. :highfive:

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  10. Aren't you..;)...I love it...:thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by