Swedish Spotted Hen "Flower Hen" Anyone know any US breeders?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HenHaven, Dec 1, 2007.

1. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    I saw this breed listed on Feathersite, but I am not sure we have them here in the US... I would love to get some hatching eggs if they are available.

Anyone know if there are any other Mille Fleur large fowl out there?

2. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    i think mille fleur D'uccle only come in bantam.

3. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    Thanks--I may just have to be happy with my Speckled Sussex. I just love her "festive" look and was hoping to get a similar look in a different breed.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Mille Fleur is a color and D'Uccle is the breed, so the Mille Fleur color can be found in other breeds; it's just that it's difficult to find them. For instance, the Cochins also come in that color, but it's not that common. Lynn, I also love my Nelda's color pattern. They get prettier as they mature, don't they?

5. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    A person tried to sell some Swedish Flower Hens on Eggbid a few years ago, and it turned out to be a scam.

To my knowledge, there have not been any imported into the US.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd never heard of any here, either, Carla. The Jublilee Orpingtons have similar coloration, but I dont think they're here, either! Europe has all the fun colors!

7. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:They are full size large breed with coloration close resembling d'Uccles.

Swedish flower hens have been recently imported to US by Greenfire Farms: http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/swedish-flower-hens/

If
    your desire to acquire them is as strong as thickness of your wallet you can order a pair from above source for only $399 scheduled delivery April 2011.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Greenfire Farms have them.

9. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    A few BYCers awhile back were trying to bring back the breed. I can't remeber who they were though...[​IMG]

10. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    There's somebody on BYC working on a Flower Hen project as well, I think they're calling it the "Aloha project", I bet you could find them if you did a search. They're birds are quite pretty and I'm sure don't come with such a hefty price tag... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by