Sweet Dreams Dear One.......my broken heart

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by DDRanch, Sep 24, 2009.

1. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    This is Mary Virginia, my oldest and dearest hen who died quite suddenly yesterday afternoon. She was out and about with the flock in the am and early afternoon. I found her in the pen about an hour after I locked them up for the night. On the one hand, I am grateful that she wasn't ill (at least didn't appear to be) wasn't hurt and wasn't pecked on....She was 8 years old and my only EE. We are all missing her terribly. I will miss her sweet disposition and her courage to get up in the morning and participate all day long. She was such a wonderful hen.....dear Mary Virginia.

[​IMG]

2. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I'm sorry...
    You gave her a good life and she enriched yours too. Thank you Mary Virginia.

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    How wonderful that she had such a loving and caring family from the beginning to the end of her life. They really teach us a lot don't they?

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    8 years old, thats amazing. What a long and loving and fun life she had. She's purdy, too.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG] so sorry

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] so sweet looking too!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

So sorry for your loss. Been there too many times in the last couple of years myself. Though we want them to stay with us forever, she did live to a very respectable age for a hen.

8. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    [​IMG]
    I am so sorry for your loss.
    We just lost one of our old EE hens that was 5 years old a few days ago. her name was cluckers, great hen, but sadly she got egg bound.

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm so very sorry you lost Mary Virginia. [​IMG] She was a beautiful girl.
    We do become quite attached to our girls, and we hurt so bad when they go. Keep her wonderful memories alive, and she will never be gone.

10. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

She was lucky to be part of your flock.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by