Sweet feed ok for geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cat1994, Nov 9, 2011.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    My geese have free rang during the day so they are able to walk through my cow and horse pasture as they please. I feed my horses and cow shield corn, which I put in rubber pans that lay on the ground. One for each horse and one for my cow, they eat most of it but some spills out so my geese run up there and eat it up. They also are not shy about walking right up to my cow when she is eating her corn and join her, eating right out of her rubber pan. But now I used all my corn up, and it is getting colder so it is time for me to switch to sweet feed for everyone, so now my geese go up and eat the sweet feed just like they did the corn. I was just wondering if it is ok for them to eat the sweet feed. When it really starts to get cold I switch to senior horse feed, sweet feed, and beef cattle feed, which I’m sure the geese will continue to eat as well. Is it ok if they eat that?

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I wouldn't make it a huge part of their diets. Maybe elevate the pans so they can't easily reach in?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They will do fine supplementing their diets with whatever feed you utilize for your horses and cattle. No big deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by