Sweet Hubby gave the OK!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by yoie, Apr 25, 2011.

1. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

My DH has given me the ok to get more ducks. Currently I have 2 Pekin ducklings that are almost 2 weeks old. They are doing awesome and my DH has fallen in love with them. He is even building me a duck house just for them!! Now I get to decide on what breeds to get. I really want friendly ducks that will give me eggs, but they don't have to be egg machines. I am ordering from Ideal so my choices are:
    Black & White Magpie
    Black East India
    Black or Fawn & White Runners
    Blue Swedish
    Buff Orpington
    Cayuga
    Domesticated Gray Mallard
    Khaki Campbell
    Rouen
    Snowy Mallard
    I am trying to limit myself to 5 or 6 and all girls [​IMG]

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have runners and if/when I order more, I'll be adding another runner and likely a pekin and if I go with 3, the 3rd will be another runner girl.
    Mine are friendly, though nobody is going to crawl into your lap unless you have food, but they are friendly and happy go lucky ducks. I enjoy them. I laugh every day when I walk out with a dish of veggies and they notice me and RUN to get to me (ok, the veggies, but they still run to me and stand waiting patiently until I put their dish down)

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Bold = Fly really well and very low egg numbers
    Underlined = Best for eggs

The ones that aren't underlined or in bold are Dual Purpose for eggs and meat

4. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
  5. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Bold = Fly very well and give very low amounts of eggs
    Underlined = Most eggs and nervous
    The ones I didnt underline or in bold are for meat and eggs

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
  6. yoie

Most of the ones you didn't underline or bold I was thinking of getting, thanks for the insite!

7. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois

Most of the ones you didn't underline or bold I was thinking of getting, thanks for the insite!

I personally would go with the blue swedish [​IMG]

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Are you only picking one breed?

I couldnt choose, lol. If it were me I would end up with a Rouen, a Runner, a Cayuga, a Magpie, a khaki & a Buff Orpington... and if i could stretch it i would get a Blue Swedish too [​IMG].

I really think Rouens & Cayugas are gorgeous ducks. Runners are great for a laugh. Magpies are just really unique looking and Khaki's & Buffs are just plain pretty ducks. I used to have Blue swedish and they were pretty friendly, I had one drake that i could hold quite a bit without him even fussing. [​IMG] I guess there's just so many swedish and swedish mixes around here that i got bored with them.

9. yoie

I am going for a variety, I just can't get one of each [​IMG] I have to limit myself to 5 ducks so I think I am going with 1 Blue Swedish, 1 Buff Duck, 1 Cayuga, 1 Rouen (hubby likes wild colored ducks), and still trying to figure out the last one. My girls want some with crests, they just look so funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by