Sweet Hubby gave the OK!

yoie

Songster
Jan 28, 2011
Easternshore of Maryland
My DH has given me the ok to get more ducks. Currently I have 2 Pekin ducklings that are almost 2 weeks old. They are doing awesome and my DH has fallen in love with them. He is even building me a duck house just for them!! Now I get to decide on what breeds to get. I really want friendly ducks that will give me eggs, but they don't have to be egg machines. I am ordering from Ideal so my choices are:
Black & White Magpie
Black East India
Black or Fawn & White Runners
Blue Swedish
Buff Orpington
Cayuga
Domesticated Gray Mallard
Khaki Campbell
Rouen
Snowy Mallard
I am trying to limit myself to 5 or 6 and all girls
big_smile.png

I have runners and if/when I order more, I'll be adding another runner and likely a pekin and if I go with 3, the 3rd will be another runner girl.
Mine are friendly, though nobody is going to crawl into your lap unless you have food, but they are friendly and happy go lucky ducks. I enjoy them. I laugh every day when I walk out with a dish of veggies and they notice me and RUN to get to me (ok, the veggies, but they still run to me and stand waiting patiently until I put their dish down)

Quote:
Bold = Fly very well and give very low amounts of eggs
Underlined = Most eggs and nervous
The ones I didnt underline or in bold are for meat and eggs

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:

Most of the ones you didn't underline or bold I was thinking of getting, thanks for the insite!

Quote:

Most of the ones you didn't underline or bold I was thinking of getting, thanks for the insite!

I personally would go with the blue swedish
smile.png

Are you only picking one breed?

I couldnt choose, lol. If it were me I would end up with a Rouen, a Runner, a Cayuga, a Magpie, a khaki & a Buff Orpington... and if i could stretch it i would get a Blue Swedish too
lol.png

I really think Rouens & Cayugas are gorgeous ducks. Runners are great for a laugh. Magpies are just really unique looking and Khaki's & Buffs are just plain pretty ducks. I used to have Blue swedish and they were pretty friendly, I had one drake that i could hold quite a bit without him even fussing.
tongue.png
I guess there's just so many swedish and swedish mixes around here that i got bored with them.

I am going for a variety, I just can't get one of each
lol.png
I have to limit myself to 5 ducks so I think I am going with 1 Blue Swedish, 1 Buff Duck, 1 Cayuga, 1 Rouen (hubby likes wild colored ducks), and still trying to figure out the last one. My girls want some with crests, they just look so funny!

Back
Top Bottom