Sweet little chick has mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jencleg, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Hey guys...I noticed when my 3 week old cochin raised his wing that a very small reddish brown bug ran across his armpit. I also noticed his poor lil skin on his back was red last night when I went to put then to bed. Is that mites? I called my local feed store & he said he had Poultry Protector...is that what I need? How do I treat the coop area and we are finidhing the run this weekend, so do I need to do anything with the sand we will be putting in? Thanks!!

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    DE (a.k.a. diatemacous earth) has helped me with hens that have been infested with mites, fleas, and lice. Just sprinkle some on your chick all over and near it's vent (not in the vent though [​IMG]) apply it for a week to be sure that they're gone. As for it's coop I sprinkle it on the ground, nest box and run. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    If the DE doesn't work. (It didn't for me). Then you can use seven. I put a pinch on the head, back, underside and under the wings of two baby silkies that I got from someone and then treated again in 10 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by