Sweet little girl o'mine!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by halvr, Nov 30, 2012.

1. halvr

halvr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    This little girl, "Girlfriend", was won at an auction as a chick. Originally a mini-flock of 6, they dwindled down to 3 as chicks sometimes do. She, her twin sister, and this little rooster ("Alfonzo") have been friendly, but this little hen was always one to come chat with me whenever she could. I was very concerned when she started fluffing her feathers, stopped eating and dropped weight rapidly. Being as it has quickly gotten so cold, I brought her in the house. I dewormed her for coccidia and then crop fed her several times. The second day in, she flew out of her "apartment" to land on my bed. She worked her way up until she was cuddled under my neck with her head in my robe and stayed that way for an hour or better during my nap! Last night she did the same thing. My husband came in to find me sound asleep with her right next to me. This morning I woke with a bad headache. She was my faithful little nurse, cuddling with me or perching on my chest. When I leave the room, she flies over to my bedside table next to the door and fusses until I return. Then she chatters at me as if to say, "What were you thinking?! You don't leave without me!" Then she curls up in the crook of my shoulder/neck and proceeds to tell me about her day. I have had cockatiels and other "pet birds" in the past that acted this way, but I never had a chicken do this, nor would it ever have occurred that one would. My dad has a serama rooster indoors as a pet, and until now I just thought he was crazy! Now I have been enlightened! I love my "Girlfriend"!

2. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Awwww how sweet!

3. Lisasfeathers

Lisasfeathers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Pa.
    They do have there own personalities. Cute story

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by