Sweet mystery chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by clucknpeck, Mar 17, 2012.

1. clucknpeck

clucknpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    I got some chicks today and while most of them are sexed we got 5 free straight run for being one of the first 50 customers. We have decided two are silver laced wyondette, one is a brown leghorn, one is some sort of banty, but the last is a mystery chick. We have never seen anything like it, and the chick expert at the feed store didn't know either.
    It is yellow with buff wings, and a buff head with a yellow stripe down the middle. It is round, and heavier than the rest of the chicks. It is by far the quietest and the most docile.

I will post a picture when I get one but I thought maybe it would be fun to guess by the description.
    We have a guess- white laced red Cornish .
    I hope it is not a game chicken. :( its my favorite one so far.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Why would you hope its not a game? Gamebirds are some of the most people friendly chickens I've ever met! I have no idea what it could be from the description you gave, but I'd love to see a picture :)

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If it's heavier and more docile, it's not a game. Sounds maybe like a sex-link?

4. clucknpeck

Mar 15, 2012
    ok guys, I am currently trying to upload the photos from photo bucket... stay tuned.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  5. clucknpeck

Mar 15, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If that doesn't work I do not know what to tell you, I tried. There should at least be the link to click to see the image.
    Sorry about all the editing, I followed all the byc instructions and the dang thing wouldnt work!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  6. clucknpeck

Mar 15, 2012
    Oh and to answer you question howfunkyisurchicken, I don't want it to be a game hen because, not to be ruthless but in all honesty, will probably eat the ones that are not good layers.

For some reason I was able to make its picture my profile picture... so yes, that is the chicken.

7. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Looks like maybe a sex link girl. Eating a game bird would be a waste, but from your description you have a dual-purpose bird.

8. clucknpeck

Mar 15, 2012
    Blazejester, I thought Cornish hens were bred for eating? I am not trying to offend, I am still learning. Cornish hens are game hens aren't they? I think maybe I am getting all mixed up...
    Truth be told, even though the plan is to eat any Roos or meat birds, I doubt I will be able to do it because I am raising them all.
    I am thinking sex link now too any I am very glad for that!

9. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I think it's a red sex-link girl. She's adorable! [​IMG]

10. clucknpeck

Mar 15, 2012
    Thanks! :) she is still proving to be one of the sweetest ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by