Sweet Old Rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Carols Clucks, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Our sweet elderly rooster is at least 10 probably older.

He has decided that Mom can pick him in the mornings and put him on the ground.

Today we were working on making the garden more mom friendly to walk around, Mom is 87 and my dad was kind of a hoarder and the garden was his domain, we have spent about 6 years cleaning it up and trimming trees etc....

We moved the old chicken coop, we had cut down and reinforced in case we ever do get a broody hen (probably the sure way to make sure we never do) to it's intended spot. We had pulled out the old grungy nest boxes to move. The rooster saw his old favorite place to sleep, put his head in a corner and tried for a nap. I think he was a bit embarrassed when I noticed him, but he was very cute enjoying his old favorite spot.

2. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    Aaww, what a sweet old Roo....does he have any company, or is he a bachelor?

3. Carols Clucks

Oct 13, 2010
    Nope not a bachelor.

He has his favorite old hen, I think his age, they sleep side by side everynight. A 8 year old hen (mom says she is younger and still lays-but she is at least as old as my dog.....) Moms favorite, she can fly over anything and goes pretty much where ever she wants. Kind of a bossy loner. A 6ish RedStar and her 4 year old daughter.

And 7 year old ladies he thinks are quite sexy.....at least once a week..... hehe

(actually, he seems to only like his brown EE's...the red star, her white ee daughter and the two slw he does not find sexy)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    So sweet Carol....

5. that is just so cute. I can pitcure them in their chicken oldies. hobbling around .... peck here peck there..... "Mabel, can you get your toes into the scratch for me? My arthritis is killing me today." [​IMG]

6. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Carols Clucks

Oct 13, 2010
    My sweet old roo

Today as I came through the garden gate (to the chicken side of the yard)

I heard my old roo calling his ladies for treats.......only he was running as fast as a heavy old roo can go up to the gate. Cause he KNEW I was going to give him treats for him and the ladies.

I was painting the coop today, so I had a lot of curious on lookers-don't think any got paint on them this time.

We had some grapes, mom rarely shares grapes with the chickens, but I handed him a few. Of course he was pretty sure they were toxic and let the hens take his. But he noticed that the hens were grabbing them and running, so he decided he was going to eat one.......he had to run too.

Then as I was leaving, one of my helpful hens was in the way so I picked her up. Turns out it is HIS best old lady....he was almost mad at me........til he realized she was getting a handful of grain and so was he.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I love the old timers.

9. awww.... it sounds so nice to let them retire in a loved home. I hope someday we all end up treated that nice when we hit our late golden years. Give your old boy a good kiss on the head for me and a pat on the back.

[​IMG]

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

What a sweet story... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by