1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sweet PDZ and DE to mix with sand in run to keep dust and odor down?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by azygous, Jan 20, 2012.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I use construction sand in my run. It's awfully dusty, but I like it for the ease it provides in keeping the run clean. I scoop poop several times a day, and I have almost no flies in summer, and no mud problems.

I would love to find something to mix with the sand to help bind with the dust. Also, I'm concerned about the buildup of tiny dried fecal matter becoming air-born and causing respiratory problems in both me and the chickens.

Will mixing PDZ and/or DE with the sand do anything in this regard?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd love to know the answer to that, because I continue to throw DE down in the run to keep odor down.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have you noticed any lessening of air-born dust with the DE? Or does it actually increase the dust?

I'm wondering if the PDZ might have some mitigating effect when added to the mix. I'm disappointed that this thread isn't getting more participation. I haven't been able to find an answer to this question any where I've searched on the nets. I was hoping someone on BYC has given this concoction a try and could report their experience.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I rarely use DE in the pens due to the expense. It increases dust inside, I know that. I used to buy Sweet PDZ, but it does not kill bugs and DE does that, so it has a wider use than the PDZ. I do recall that using them both increases the dust factor in the coops, so I use DE sparingly in the nests and during wet spells underneath the roost area.

I'd say adding a dusty product probably won't decrease your outside dust, though when DE gets wet, it tends to clump and mat down.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I use DE in the coop only. I don't see any reason in using it in my run, which is 50 by 50. It is.really dusty anyways. I do use the sweet pdz in the coop from time to time, and find it keeps the odor down better. The reason why you probably are not getting answers is a lot of people don't think DE works, it has worked well for me.
    Michele

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I appreciate the replies. I was about to go out and obtain both products to run the experiment myself. I was encouraged by the prospect of the DE mitigating odors and parasites and maybe bacteria, but if it increases the dust problem, I see no real benefit. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

I really, really wish there was a safe way to conquer the dust problem, though.

7. stokiechicks

stokiechicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    I have you considered adding hydrated lime on moist sand to create a loose dried crumbly natural mortar ?

1 person likes this.
  8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio

I have heard that lime will burn a chickens feet. I had bought some and never used it due to that.

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Regarding the hydrated lime, I can see where that might help bind the clay particles in the sand, but I also have heard that it's not good for chickens innards as well as their extremities. But thanks for the suggestion.

10. she'scountry68

she'scountry68 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Arkansas
    What is DE?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by