1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sweet PDZ - granules or powder?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jessicaroo, Mar 1, 2013.

1. jessicaroo

jessicaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    Could anyone tell me what would be better for a poop board/litter box under my roosting bars? The feed store I'm ordering from sells it in granules and a powder.... Which should I get?

2. tomecarsley

tomecarsley Out Of The Brooder

I'm using granules/pellets and it's working fine in my brooder. Less dusty-ness in an already dusty place.

3. jessicaroo

jessicaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    Thanks for your feedback!

4. NC ChickenKate

NC ChickenKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes...definitely granules for the less dust reason and it is easier to scoop clean with a kitty litter scoop. I MUCH prefer the Sweet PDZ in a poop tray under the roost than the deep litter method...no flies, no odor, easier cleaning and cheaper than bales of aspen shavings.

5. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I'm sorry but my memory fails me. I read on one of these posts that you cannot use PDZ with the Deep Litter Method. I was not going to use deep litter method at the time so did not ask why, but now I am considering changing to DLM and want to know if anyne can tell why PDZ should not be used with the Deep Litter method. Thanks.

6. mamabear72

mamabear72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Northern Nevada
    My memory isn't much better than yours but I remember reading about not adding to the deep litter method too. However I think it was Stall Dry that shouldn't be added, because the DE in it kills the good microbes that the deep litter produces. Since the Sweet pdz is a natural product (zeolite) I don't know if it would interfere with the deep litter method. Hopefully a Veteran DLM user will pipe in and set us both straight [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by