SWEET PDZ

Good morning all, I have a question for the great minds of BYC..
PDZ love it, hate it, and why. We are up to our maximum of 10 birds in the coop at night, now that we have introduced the new little girls..the odor factor has gone UP.
Love it. But only the granular version. Not the powder.
Do you have poop boards in your coop? What size is your coop in relation to the number of birds you have?
How large is your run? Does it have a solid roof on it and is it predator-proof?

I sprinkle a moderate amount of granular PDZ on the floor of the coop. Shavings on top of that. Once a week i stir it all up. I have no odor in my coop.

I'm at the maximum on birds per square foot if you use 3 square feet per bird the coop is 4'x8' with 2 external nesting box areas of 14"x 38"..I have use PDZ in the brooder only..but with 10 in the coop at night and with the daily 95 degree plus heat wondering it's a needed measure. We deep litter and thus far no older I can detect but I don't sleep there ....YET lol.

the odor factor has gone UP.
We deep litter and thus far no older I can detect but I don't sleep there ....YET lol.
Which is it....more odor or not? :D
Just wait until they start laying and the poops triple+ in size.

I love a thin layer (<1/4") of granulated PDZ on the poop boards,
it's siftable, all of it gets sifted daily. Add a bit as needed.
That helps a lot.
Dry shavings on the floor also helps with odor.
When I walk into coop in the morning to feed and clean,
no odor unless someone has just dropped a fresh cecal poop.
High heat and humidity changes that, everything stinks more when damp.

No odor increase, our coop does not have poop boards and not really designed for them..I can probably make something if need be.
We dont really have poop boards. Heres a picture of my setup. I put the sweet pdz under where the roost. (Obviously before I scooped it. Also, this poop was not created by these babies. My big girls are responsible for that). Never had a smell, even before I did this. But I have tons of ventilation.

Attachments

• 20200706_144134.jpg
    20200706_144134.jpg
    726.8 KB · Views: 33

Back
Top Bottom