Sweet PDZ

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bat Cave Silkies, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I had read on one of the forums that some breeders use Sweet PDZ to help control odors in the summer~~so I bought some.
    However, theres a warning on the bag stating that if its ingested you have to "flush with water".
    Have any user's noticed any negative side effect?

Do you normally apply it then cover it with shavings?
    Thanks

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I use it in my run without shavings. My girls free range, so about every 3-5 days I sprinkle a 2-3 handfuls around in the run while the chickens are out of the run. I have had no problem with it so far. My run is 10'x10'. I let them out about 7am and they go back in about 7 or 8pm. Of course, they are in and out all day long because I keep their water and crumbles in the run. Initially that was so they would learn to come back to the run. Now I see no reason to change that.

3. Bat Cave Silkies

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    thanks oldchickenlady

I really wanted to give it a try, because my runs are a little smelly related to the hot temps, and daily rain.

4. azmotogirl

azmotogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    For all of us "newbies"..... what is PDZ?

5. Bat Cave Silkies

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    [​IMG] I don't know....thats the name written on the bag~~Sweet PDZ

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

It is a stall freshner for horses. But, it works in cat boxes and I see no reason it wouldn't be OK to use in the chicken run.

7. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I use it in my coop and run, particularly during rainy weather. The run got a little smelly, so I sprinkled it with Sweet PDZ, and it smelled better almost immediately. I've also used it in the bottom of nest boxes, before I put pine shavings in, and in my cat litter boxes, before I add the litter. I was using Stall Dry, but my feed supply store had trouble getting it, and TSC had Sweet PDZ, so I switched to that. Works well.

8. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    SallyF, I can't get either one but I am curious as to which one you liked better. I AM going to find this stuff!

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I've used PDZ and stall dry and I prefer the stall and it's cheaper.

10. fours2many

fours2many Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    I prefer the stall dry too. It is cheaper and works better. I can't get it around here anymore. [​IMG] I called every feed store. TSC was carrying it, but then stopped. They only have PDZ. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by