Sweet potato fries?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by flyingmonkeypoop, May 21, 2008.

1. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I had some sweet potato fries a while back and I loved them. Does anyone have a recipe for them?

2. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Simply put, I just peel my sweet potatoes, slice them into fry sizes and deep fry them as you would regular potato fries. There's just not much to it. The type of seasoning used after frying does a lot to enhance them but that too is matter of personal choice.

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    When I worked in the steak shop before I had the boys, we made sweet potato fries. Just peel the potato, cut into fries (with or without that nice industrial fry cutter lol) and deep fry for a few minutes. I didn't really like them, so maybe the owner taught us to make them wrong. I like regular fries much better. LOL

If you figure it out, let us know and post pictures [​IMG] Everyone likes food pix.

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    The way I make mine is ...peel and slice into size I want. Spray butter flavored Pam on a cookie sheet and spead my fries out in one layer on the pan then I spray my fries with the same Pam sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for about 20 min. at 450` I have been known to make up two pans of them [​IMG]

5. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    At a restaurant I worked at, we served SPF with honey butter. People LOVED them.

6. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Another thing you can do is peel the potatoes, then slice lengthwise all the way down, maybe 1/4" thick. toss with olive oil, bake until just browning outside, soft inside. Salt when they come out of the oven.

Don't over-brown, though, or they become bitter.

Oh, Mrs. Puff, that sounds delicious, thanks! [​IMG]

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

That is how made mine.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I've never been able to get them crispy like Irish potato fries. I see on the label of the frozen ones that theirs are coated in rice flour.

I make sweet potato fries like I make duck fries. I like to use the red Beauregard yams. Cut them into fries, coat them with duck fat, and spread them on a cookie sheet and bake until they start to look almost to the point of being blackened at one end. As they get darker, the sugar caramelizes and they taste really good. You just have to watch closely to be sure they don't burn.

I grind some sea salt over the top and serve.

9. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

10. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    This is what I do. Although, I use olive oil.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by