Sweet Potatoe Peelings

lsuphillier1

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
I was told recently that sweet potatoes hurt egg production. I give my chickens scraps and that sometimes includes sweet potatoe peelings. Has anyone heard of this?

I just found an article that says not to feed any raw potatoe peelings, chocolate or a lot of salt. Does anyone know what is the reasoning for no potatoe peelings?

Ive given my chickens raw potatoes before
smack.gif
and have to say nothing happend !! All still alive and kicking !!

Let me go look at the treat chart and see what that says.

i had one sweet potato and threw the peelings into the run. nothing happened to the laying productionl.
btw, i cut the sweet potato like french fries, tossed in some olive oil and baked at about 400 degrees till tender with some cinnamon/sugar, dash of salt/pepper. so yummy with the steak i grilled for my dh and us! (saw the barfoot contessa do that and tried it) dh loved it, said it was better and healthier than any steak place! i have a special thing i do to steaks too.
love.gif
:love

Swtangel, thanks for the link. I too have given peelings of potatoes including sweet potatoes, bananas, apples, etc. for months with no adverse affect. Evidently, there is some reason to not give it though...maybe it cuts egg production as I have been told. Thanks again.

Chickens cannot digest raw potato peel. Before I knew this, I gave some to my chickens and they wouldn't eat them anyway. Guess they knew better than I did!

Back
Top Bottom