1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sweet Potatoe Peelings

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lsuphillier1, Dec 8, 2008.

1. lsuphillier1

lsuphillier1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    I was told recently that sweet potatoes hurt egg production. I give my chickens scraps and that sometimes includes sweet potatoe peelings. Has anyone heard of this?

2. lsuphillier1

Apr 10, 2008
    I just found an article that says not to feed any raw potatoe peelings, chocolate or a lot of salt. Does anyone know what is the reasoning for no potatoe peelings?

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Ive given my chickens raw potatoes before [​IMG] and have to say nothing happend !! All still alive and kicking !!

Let me go look at the treat chart and see what that says.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
  5. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    i had one sweet potato and threw the peelings into the run. nothing happened to the laying productionl.
    btw, i cut the sweet potato like french fries, tossed in some olive oil and baked at about 400 degrees till tender with some cinnamon/sugar, dash of salt/pepper. so yummy with the steak i grilled for my dh and us! (saw the barfoot contessa do that and tried it) dh loved it, said it was better and healthier than any steak place! i have a special thing i do to steaks too. [​IMG]:love

6. lsuphillier1

Apr 10, 2008
    Swtangel, thanks for the link. I too have given peelings of potatoes including sweet potatoes, bananas, apples, etc. for months with no adverse affect. Evidently, there is some reason to not give it though...maybe it cuts egg production as I have been told. Thanks again.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Chickens cannot digest raw potato peel. Before I knew this, I gave some to my chickens and they wouldn't eat them anyway. Guess they knew better than I did!

8. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by