1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sweet potatoes?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by denim deb, Oct 10, 2010.

1. denim deb

denim deb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    I was in Lowe's earlier this year, and saw that they had sweet potato slips for sale, so I bought a container of them, and followed the directions someone gave me for planting them. And, in spite of how dry it was this year, they grew! Only problem being, this is the first year I've grown them. So, I haven't a clue as to how to tell when they're ready to harvest. Anyone else grow them? What do I look for to know whether or not they're ready to come out of the ground? Thanks.

2. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I look for the vine to die. MIL says she picks hers when they smell ready. [​IMG] She also waves her hands over her broccolli to make the plants bushier. And she says she is not a garden witch! [​IMG]

3. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    THis was our first year growing them. I just dug up a "test" plant, the sweet potatoes were a good size so we harvested them....[​IMG]

Most sweet potatos are 90 to 120 days so that should help you know when they are ready too.

Yum [​IMG]

ON

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Depending on where you live, the vine may or may not die. The first time I grew them I waited a year before digging them up and some were 20 lbs or so. They were also completely inedible. In Hawaii, where they grow a large proportion of our sweet potatoes, they harvest at six months. That's what I do now. They are so good when fresh like that. Enjoy.

5. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    We grow ours in barrels so the soil is easy to move & usually harvest when they are fairly small after a couple of months. We throw them on the grill whole and they are fantastic. We do spot checks to see how big they are. It depends on the variety as well. We've done seedlings which grow differently from the ones we propagate from potatoes we get at the farmers market.

6. denim deb

denim deb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm really curious to know how waving your hands over broccoli will make the plant bushier!

I'm trying to remember when I planted them. I was dizzy most of the summer, so got stuff in much later than I should have. But, I'm pretty sure it's been over 90 days.

Right now, the leaves are starting to change colors, but there's no danger yet of a frost killing the vines. I seem to recall hearing that that's something you don't want to have happen, but don't know why.

7. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    [​IMG]
    I want to know about the frost on the vines....[​IMG]

I will have to try waving my hands over my broccoli... My fall crop in the hot house is kinda leggy...[​IMG]

ON

8. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Mine would still be in the ground if the chickens hadn't discovered my garden [​IMG]
    I rescued as many as I could from the nine plants I had going but it was a disappointing harvest.
    My Yukon Golds did better as they matured earlier & I picked them B-sized mostly.

For the sweets, I just dug around with my hands until I felt a good-sized tuber then dug it up.
    I got about a dozen nice-sized and a lot of small ones that I used for oven fries.
    I'm gonna say it was about 120 days from planting the seedlings to picking.

Next year I am putting up a better (chicken-proof) fence!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by