1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sweet rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bring, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    My rooster, who just started crowing four days ago, was out with his seven girls free ranging in the big yard. I saw him find and catch a bug. He didn't eat it, instead he made a few short sounds and three hens went running to him and grabbed the bug from his mouth. They didn't steal it, he gave it to them! Has anybody seen this behavior before? BTW, I just got my first egg ever from one of the girls he gave the bug to. Reminds me of a man giving flowers to a woman. It was sweet.

2. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    That is so darn cute! My rooster always gives his food to his girls. I don't know how he stays alive!

3. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, mine too! Like Omelette's mom said, I don't know how he stays alive either! And my rooster is twice the size as the hens! [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My head roo eats first, but the other one does this all the time.

5. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    My rooster Jelly will call the girls when he finds something good to eat. He'll eat once they have all come and found the treat, but not until everyone gets a bite.
    He's also a great watchdog for hawks and other predators. Jelly's a good boy.

6. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    Whenever I throw treats out, my rooster calls the girls out before he starts eating. [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My roo does that. He's also a bit sneaky. If the girls are paying a bit too much attention to me instead of him, he'll make the treat noise trying to draw their attention away from me. He's a boogerhead, but I love him.

8. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

The head rooster is a black copper maran and he does a soothing little cluck to call his girls when he finds a treat for them.
    When I bring them treats he refuses to eat any of them even if I drop handfuls down on the ground right in front of them.
    While he is protective of them he is also very sweet.

I have a young cockeral that has just started doing the cluck to call his girls over as well.
    The big cochin rooster adopted all of the little frizzles and sizzles as well as his cochin lady and he is very protective of them.
    They were all hatched at the same time and he really cares about them.
    When he realized that they could not or do not want to use a roost he started laying down in the corner of the coop with them.

The young americauna cockeral that was raised with a new group of pullets seems to be their sugar daddy as well.

They all have their own little flocks and they seem to respect that.
    I have had roosters in the past that were just big louts but I am very happy with the gentlemen I have now.

9. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    He is a good roo if he's doing this ! A good roo takes care of his ladies first. He is definetly a keeper. [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Roosters can be so sweet. My Lord Firestar does that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by