Sweet Smell coming from incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DangerChickenHouse, Feb 6, 2012.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    This is day 22 - no hatch.

The night of day 18, the incubator went up to 106 degrees when it had been pretty stable the other days ranging from 99-101. We are wondering if the chicks are dead.

The smell is sweet. I can't really describe it though. Maybe a sweet milky smell? It's not a rotten smell......yet. What are we smelling?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    106 is pretty high.....I'm not familiar with a sweet smell, but can you candle the eggs? That odor may be the beginning of a stinky egg cracking or worse, blowing up.........Ya better hurry!

3. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Yea I agree, if your on day 22 and starting to smell anything I would candle to see if you have any internal pips or ozzing eggs. Be careful, you reallllly don't want one to blow up on you!!! [​IMG]

4. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Is there a a hint of a smell that is similar to grape soda? That's usually invasive bacteria on organic material. That's a simple way of telling in a lab if your sample is ruined.

5. DangerChickenHouse

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Not grape soda. More like sweetened condensed milk.

I was thinking bacteria too.......

It's day 22. I hate to give up on them this early, but I think it might be a lost cause.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  6. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    That is surely a funny smell, (do you have kids?) Ya never know what they may have been doing and spilled something in there, and wiped the noticeable part up.

7. DangerChickenHouse

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I quickly candled and smelled the eggs. I only have two and it's day 22. [​IMG]

Egg 1 - the stinky egg. I guess it's rotting. It is developed, but I guess something went wrong. It doesn't smell good.

Egg 2 - It quit on me before it was fully developed. I'm not sure when.

So, I guess I throw my eggs away. I'll re-set on Wednesday. This time I'll try to incubate more eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by