1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sweet Soft Sounds

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peepinglaura, Mar 11, 2009.

1. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    We brought our hen and her nesting box in the house (weird, I know, but it seemed like the safest way to separate her from the flock. She has a room to herself). She's in the evening of her 18th/ 19th day, depending on how my math is.

She occasionally makes a soft chirping/ cooing sound. Do chickens just do this at night, or is she cooing to her eggs? It's so sweet!

Laura

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

My broody buff orpington did this A LOT while she was sitting on the eggs; they're now hatching and she "sings" and "talks" to the babies who've already hatched and to the ones she's still sitting on. She'll croon as she turns them. [​IMG]

3. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Oh, isn't that just the sweetest thing? Mine did that and I believe they are cooing to their babies in there [​IMG]

It is amazing how when they hatch, they know all of Momma's coos and chirps!

4. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Awww sweet - I love broody hens!
    It's not weird at all, I have a broody hen in my living room in a dog crate. She and the cat hang out all day together waiting for the eggs to hatch.
    You can see some pics of it at my chicken blog

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by