Sweet story about our mama hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by prancie, May 25, 2010.

1. prancie

prancie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Alabama
    Our mama hen lost her only chick last friday after raising it for 2 weeks . We decided to see if she would accept new chicks. We got a 3 little RIR chicks at the feed store and brought them home to her on Saturday. She immediately took to them and seemed so very happy. The problem was, they wouldn't follow her at all. After a few hours I figured that they had already passed the imprinting stage and were not going to follow her at all. They were not day old chicks, they looked to be a few days old or even a week. However she was still determined to be their mother. I settled on putting them in an outdoor pen where she could fly in and out as she wanted and they wouldn't get eaten by one of our cats because they got caught alone when she walked off. I put them under her at night in the coop to keep them warm (the first night she had settled on the perch and when I brought them in she got down from the perch and settled in with them). In the middle of the day on Monday I went to check on the chicks in their pen and they were gone! THe had squeezed out and I found them with mama following her!!! They had decided she was mama. We went out and got 4 more from the same bunch and she accepted them as well and all 7 chicks are following mom about the yard now. Mama is so happy, she seemed even happier when we gave her more chicks. It's so darn cute. I'll try and get some pictures posted soon.

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

[​IMG]

I love seeing the Mom clucking contentedly to her babes.

3. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Oh, yes! Pics please!! [​IMG]

4. EastinChickens

EastinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Michigan
    Oh how adorable!!! What kind of hen is she? [​IMG]

5. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Awww, I'm so glad they took to her!

6. duckchic16

duckchic16 Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2010
    Southern California
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Aw that does sound very adorable and that's a really wonderful story that you have shared with everyone and I hope to see the baby chics and the mama pictures soon on here [​IMG] have a wonderful day and good luck with the chics and the mama..

7. prancie

prancie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Alabama
    she's a BO

8. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I can't wait for the day that I can get a hen to raise some chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by