Sweet Sue’s Canned Whole Chicken

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by jus1jack, Jun 16, 2009.

1. jus1jack

jus1jack Critically Endangered

Mar 30, 2009
    Orlando
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

Always wondered what was in a can of whole chicken... now I know. LOL

3. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I do not ever eat any type of meat with jelly on it. Meat is not supposed to have jelly on it. You know those canned hams with the jelly stuff? Nope I ain't eating that either. LOL It was interesting to see what it looks like though.

4. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Songster

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    I think its called spam...YUCK! not a healthy way to eat...who even buys that stuff anyway?

5. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I never even heard of canning chicken until I read a thread here on BYC. Why would you want to do this and how in the world do you cram that bird in a jar or can? Wouldn't seal-a-meal and a freezer work just a good?

6. Rolsjo

Rolsjo Songster

May 18, 2009
    Maine
    Well, I always prefer fresh meat. But I know one use for canned. I used to live overseas and couldn't get turkey. Well, you could get it but it was $12/lb! I had an American friend whose mom canned turkey for us and shipped it so we could have turkey for Thanksgiving. That was just so sweet of her!

Also, I know people that have canned deer meat just to save freezer space.

I think the generation coming up now is more geared toward freezing than canning. I know my grandma canned everything, because in her 1934 General Electric fridge there was only an icebox in the upper corner. I would have held 1 chicken, maybe?!?!

7. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I can my chicken here so that we don't have to rely on the power company to keep our food frozen. Plus is makes for a quick meal when you have unexpected company coming over. It also looks really good in a jar. I also can beef and other meats as well. Theres nothing wrong with home-canned meats.....just factory canned meats [​IMG]

When it's home-raised chicken.....it's yummy right out of a jar [​IMG]

But I agree, I wouldn't dare buy one of those chickens in a can like that. I think the reason they don't use jars is so you can see oll of the goop in there. [​IMG]

Plus, if you can't pronounce the ingredients, then don't eat it.

8. jus1jack

jus1jack Critically Endangered

Mar 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Quote:[​IMG] yep caned fish is yummy too:drool

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: