Sweet sweet roo in NJ

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by jjthink, Feb 11, 2007.

1. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm in central NJ, former guardian to a wonderful roo and hen. Sadly, she died in November and he was so depressed. He had taken such exemplary care of her - she was treated like a princess. The coop was on property not mine and the owners didn't want more chickens so I searched and searched for a good home and adopted him out in November. Things were wonderful until recently, when the young hens there began attacking him badly. He is so gentle and loving to hens that he doesn't fight back. I have been asked to take him back (with a hen along for to keep him company) and am scrambling to figure out the building of a safe outdoor run on my property as I am no longer able to be home at dusk like I managed to do before. These people are also no longer comfortable feeding him the special things a roo needs to stay healthy (I had him on a combo of wild game bird food, sunflower seeds, scratch, fruits, veggies, and Avia Charge 2000 in water. He refuses layer food).. Ideally I need a wonderful home for him with someone who is like many of us on BYC who will pull out all the stops to provide good care. A place with no other roos and no crazed attacking hens. Refined gentle adult hens. He needs an understanding soul who can help him adjust and who wouldn't mind my helping at first (he's been through so much in such a short time). It is extremely difficult for me to have chickens at this time but it looks as though I have to get him out of there promptly.

2. Mr.Dad

Mr.Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    Does his coop come with him (and his women) ?

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

BJ doesn't have a coop right now except for where he's at right now. He might be coming with one lady friend. If you could give him a great home, that would be AWESOME! He's been through alot...and JJ thought that this would be his forever home, but there were a bunch of Meanie Sisters that have made his life miserable. He has some older hens which treat him nicely, but this bunch were ripping apart his comb.
    He lost his best buddy, Betty in November and he had to be rehomed. JJ can tell you a little better, but he needs a home where he'll be petted and treated like a king and given treats and love, not treated like a chicken but like a beloved pet.
    Judy forgive me if I've stepped on your toes, but I'd really like to see him go to one of us who gets it.

4. Mr.Dad

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    I don't have a coop (yet)...I slapped something together for the bunch that stayed here until we found the 'owners' but it was a stretch to call that a coop.....it was kinda like a 'homeless chicken' shelter....

A pet is what I'm looking for...I have a 6 y/o girl, 5 y/o boy, and 11 month old girl....

We were planning to get chicks in the Spring but have decided to move more NW in order to live a little simpler....work harder but get a little further away from the 'rat race'....we don't have it too bad here but we're aiming for 7 plus acres and a country home....

We are going to get two to three birds until we move (may take a while to get a few things done here and find the right place)...I'm sticking to two to three because they will come with us when we move.....the coop and pen will be constructed with that in mind....we will get more chickens after we move but I'd keep him in his own coop/pen if he was better off that way....and let him roam a little when the others were penned up......

The problem is I have no coop at the moment ...I do have a fenced in yard but no where warm for him and his women to stay in right now....

PS....(just as a little background on us) we've adopted two 'special needs' goldens (dogs) in the past ten years....we can handle a fella that likes a special diet and attention.....that's small stuff.....and my kids are going to be heavily involved so I want friendly birds...that's why I responded here.....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  5. SpottedCrow

Then I sincerely hope and pray that she'll read this and all of you can get together and give BJ and his lady friend a home...Got my fingers, toes and eyes crossed.[​IMG]

6. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hi SC! And Mr. Dad. SC, you can convey info anytime you wish - you are so well versed on this situation! Thank you so very much for caring.

Mr. Dad, you sound like a wonderful person. I guess we might have a timing glitch in that this sweet roo and lady friend might be in my hands any minute and you don't have coop facilities. The coop I have is built inside an outbuilding - it's attached and not movable. Maybe we can revisit when you have a coop or are settled in your new location and see what the situation is at that time?. We're both in NJ so that part is easy anyway.

Thank you for your kindness in adopting special needs animals.

7. Mr.Dad

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    Thanks aren't in order [​IMG]....I'm a sucker for animals and it feels good to help....Let me know if you get in a real bind with him...

8. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey

9. SpottedCrow

Sniffle...too bad the rest of the world isn't like us Chickenfolk...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by