Sweet Valley, Pa

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Candyhl, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Candyhl

Candyhl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    I have recently decided to start raising chickens, for eggs at least, maybe for meat as I gain experience with the breeds. I've wanted to get chickens for years, but wasn't confident enough that I would follow through. I was raised having chickens, turkeys and goats. My only regret is that I didn't start when my father was here to enjoy them. I lost my father and two beloved dogs within a year and a half. :(
    So, maybe that's what has brought me to this decision. I don't know for certain, but I feel I'm ready.
    I have the coop, which is actually the large(12x8) heavy-duty shed/dog pen that will be relocated and cleaned/sterilized and all we need to do now is move it, and reconstruct the inside for nesting boxes and roosts. Get the fencing and put it up. And of course the feeder/waterer, bedding, etc.
    I have decided that I want Buff Orpingtons but I'm leery of ordering them through them mail.
    So if I must have them mailed, I would prefer from someplace close. Does anyone have any suggestions? If I can get them now they can be hardy enough when true winter sets in. I considered waiting until spring, but if I can convince my husband, I would truly like to get the chicks now.
    Afterall, he's been wanting to know what I want for my birthday! :lol:

2. Kiomey

Kiomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2012
    Southern York County
    Hi from York county pa ^^ I'm sorry bout your losses but pleased more people are getting back to chickens ^^ feel free to check out and join in the Pennsylvania thread, there people I'm sure that are closer to you than me who could help ya ^^ they're real nice if very chatty.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/248345/pennsylvania-unite
    have a good week!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by