Sweetgrass Turkeys

Master Hatcher

Chirping
Jul 20, 2017
Bay Minette Alabama
2AC1044B-7896-44F2-8FA9-0F84CD94A1CF.jpeg Tiger Bronze and Tiger Narag sweetgrass Gobblers ... just wanted to show off some of my breeders for this year !

Attachments

• A65988A1-1FD6-482A-8A47-DB64501DF5CE.jpeg
    A65988A1-1FD6-482A-8A47-DB64501DF5CE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
  • 29683897-4710-49D9-B635-1D5A0BA12886.jpeg
    29683897-4710-49D9-B635-1D5A0BA12886.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
  • 608E58C2-7E6C-4C11-8755-324EDDBBB8A3.jpeg
    608E58C2-7E6C-4C11-8755-324EDDBBB8A3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
  • A522165C-8EE1-416E-9880-22BB4384ED51.jpeg
    A522165C-8EE1-416E-9880-22BB4384ED51.jpeg
    663.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 10A33ED0-AECB-4B89-A0F8-2192A77D57B2.jpeg
    10A33ED0-AECB-4B89-A0F8-2192A77D57B2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
View attachment 1676023 Tiger Bronze and Tiger Narag sweetgrass Gobblers ... just wanted to show off some of my breeders for this year !
I am confused. Why would you title your thread Sweetgrass Turkeys when you are talking about Tiger Bronze and a mixed variety that you have apparently made up your own name for? While they may have some color genes in common with the Sweetgrass variety, they are no more Sweetgrass than a Royal palm is a Sweetgrass. In the case of a Royal Palm, it has only one color gene different than a Sweetgrass.

I am confused. Why would you title your thread Sweetgrass Turkeys when you are talking about Tiger Bronze and a mixed variety that you have apparently made up your own name for? While they may have some color genes in common with the Sweetgrass variety, they are no more Sweetgrass than a Royal palm is a Sweetgrass. In the case of a Royal Palm, it has only one color gene different than a Sweetgrass.
Lol .. guess you need to learn genetics then maybe it wouldnt be so confusing to you ! The father of these two is a Blue SG Gobbler . The mother is a blue red bronze SG ... sweetgrass come in many colors genetics play a big role in the pencilling , colors etc ! Maybe you should join turkey color genetics on fbook in which kevin porter himself runs the foundation off where the SG come from you can also go to porterturkeys(dot) com and educate yourself on sweetgrass varieties

Lol .. guess you need to learn genetics then maybe it wouldn't be so confusing to you ! The father of these two is a Blue SG Gobbler . The mother is a blue red bronze SG ... sweetgrass come in many colors genetics play a big role in the pencilling , colors etc ! Maybe you should join turkey color genetics on fbook in which kevin porter himself runs the foundation off where the SG come from you can also go to porterturkeys(dot) com and educate yourself on sweetgrass varieties
The fact is that Sweetgrass (b1b1 cgcg dd EE NN RR SlSl SpSp PnPn) have more in common in their color genetics with a Royal palm (b1b1 cgcg dd EE nn RR SlSl SpSp PnPn) than they have with a Tiger Bronze (b1b1 Ccg dd EE NN RR SLSl SpSp pnpn).

If I cross a Sweetgrass tom with a Royal Palm hen, the female offspring will be Sweetgrass phenotypically and genotypically. The male offspring will be Sweetgrass phenotypically but genotypically they will be carrying a recessive Narragansett color gene. By your theory the Royal palms would be a Sweetgrass variety which they are not.

Just because you use Sweetgrass to create a different variety, it does not make the other variety a Sweetgrass.

On Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys, he does not make any claim that the Tiger Bronze is a Sweetgrass variety.

Since I don't allow Facebook to run on my computers, you will never see me in the Facebook Turkey Color Genetics group.

The fact is that Sweetgrass (b1b1 cgcg dd EE NN RR SlSl SpSp PnPn) have more in common in their color genetics with a Royal palm (b1b1 cgcg dd EE nn RR SlSl SpSp PnPn) than they have with a Tiger Bronze (b1b1 Ccg dd EE NN RR SLSl SpSp pnpn).

If I cross a Sweetgrass tom with a Royal Palm hen, the female offspring will be Sweetgrass phenotypically and genotypically. The male offspring will be Sweetgrass phenotypically but genotypically they will be carrying a recessive Narragansett color gene. By your theory the Royal palms would be a Sweetgrass variety which they are not.

Just because you use Sweetgrass to create a different variety, it does not make the other variety a Sweetgrass.

On Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys, he does not make any claim that the Tiger Bronze is a Sweetgrass variety.

Since I don't allow Facebook to run on my computers, you will never see me in the Facebook Turkey Color Genetics group.
And there ya go you just proved my point ! By your own words that makes them sweetgrass the female by Geno and Pheno and the males by Pheno with a recessive gene . Still makes them a sweetgrass with a recessive Narg gene smh

And there ya go you just proved my point ! By your own words that makes them sweetgrass the female by Geno and Pheno and the males by Pheno with a recessive gene . Still makes them a sweetgrass with a recessive Narg gene smh
Apparently you have a reading comprehension problem. Sweetgrass tom mated with a Royal palm hen make Sweetgrass. That is correct and was never in doubt. It however does not make a Royal Palm a Sweetgrass any more than a Narragansett is a Bronze. They also differ from each other solely in the Narragansett gene that the Bronze does not possess.

Tiger Bronze is neither phenotypically or genotypically a Sweetgrass. Your other cross is definitely not a Sweetgrass phenotypically and I personally don't know what its genotype is with all the variables it might have.

Based on your belief that what the parent variety is also the variety of the offspring, then all domestic turkeys are Bronze because they all were derived from the wild bronze turkeys.

I'm no genetics expert, I'm limited to what I can input into Porter's Calculator and with me it's probably still a case of garbage in and garbage out. So I won't weigh in on that discussion. But I always enjoy looking at colorful turkeys...
Master Hatcher, ever sell poults? I live over east of Pensacola.

I'm no genetics expert, I'm limited to what I can input into Porter's Calculator and with me it's probably still a case of garbage in and garbage out. So I won't weigh in on that discussion. But I always enjoy looking at colorful turkeys...
Master Hatcher, ever sell poults? I live over east of Pensacola.
Yes i do should have some here soon . Got some eggs in the incubator now that should hatch out within the next week or two

Back
Top Bottom