Swelled jaw, infected mouth?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chseeads, Jun 23, 2010.

1. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    One of my turkey hens has a swelled jaw, the area around the back joint of her beak on the right side. On the inside of her mouth there at the back edge of her beak, are a couple of "punctures" or something...they look kind of like a canker sore....something white colored in them.... The swelled area is firm, not soft or squishy.

I remember having a chicken or something that had a similar situation years ago, but I can't remember the outcome. Any suggestions of how to treat her or what's good to give her?

Thanks

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I'm just throwing out a wag but perhaps you could try a tiny dab of icthamol (sp?) to draw out any infection if there is any? I have no idea if this can even be used on a turkey. You might want to check with a vet before doing it but it works on cows and horses and dogs, etc....

[​IMG] Good Luck.

3. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

4. chseeads

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Hmm....looking stuff up on the wetpox deal....the descriptions of it does sound kind of like what she's got.

5. chseeads

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Here's pictures of her.....

The swelled spot...
    [​IMG]

The inside of her mouth...can't really see it that great.... And there's some food particles in there where she'd been eating and wouldn't take my advice to get a drink and rinse her mouth out....
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by