Swelling after hawk attack, penicillin

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pddtovar, May 10, 2018.

1. pddtovar

pddtovar Chirping

Jul 9, 2011
    I have a baby chick that was attacked by a hawk yesterday. She got two talon cuts.one above each wing. I washed the wounds with betadine solution and applied triple antibiotic cream. I also gave her a little injection of penicillin. She seemed to do better and even ate a little yesterday evening. This morning she is running around and eating but her leg and back are swollen. I don’t know if the wounds or the penicillin caused it. What should I do? Wait? Or do something to alleviate the swelling?

2. Dr.GarryTTucker

Dr.GarryTTucker Songster

May 1, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    I would let it be. Like bread just let it rest and watch it rise. I would check this evening and see what it looks like in the morning. Watch it’s behavior. If she is still eating this evening then that’s good. Tomorrow morning swelling should be lower. Swelling isn’t a bad thing. It’s the bodies way of protecting itself. Although too much isn’t good.

Keep an eye on it but let it rest.

pddtovar likes this.
  3. pddtovar

pddtovar Chirping

Jul 9, 2011
    Thanks! I thought letting it be would be best, but I want to do everything I can to save her. For the future, was giving the penicillin the right thing to do?

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Dr.GarryTTucker likes this.
  4. Dr.GarryTTucker

Dr.GarryTTucker Songster

May 1, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    Umm personally I think it might have been much. The washing it, sanatizing it, and triple antibiotic was perfect. If it showed signs of heavy infection then penicilin would be the next step. But other than that you did awesome. How is she doing?

Johnny98 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  5. pddtovar

pddtovar Chirping

Jul 9, 2011
    She is holding her own. Moving around with the others. Just slower. Eating too. Just holding my breath she’ll be ok. Right now she’s under her mama getting some rest. My husband said when the hawk dropped her she fell into heavy grass from about ten to twelve feet. I hope nothing is broken. Thanks for your help. I’ll hold off with the penicillin next time.

6. pddtovar

pddtovar Chirping

Jul 9, 2011
    Just wanted to let everyone know my chick is doing fine!! Thanks for the help!!!

Dr.GarryTTucker likes this.
  7. Dr.GarryTTucker

Dr.GarryTTucker Songster

May 1, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    That’s awesome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: