Swelling around the lower jaw in my Leghorn

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jlblock01, Jan 6, 2013.

1. jlblock01

jlblock01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My son's favorite chicken (isn't that always the way?) has developed swelling around her bottom jaw... she is eating well, behaving normally he just noticed it when he picked her up today. He's been down with the flu all week so we aren't sure how long this has been going on since he's the one that usually tends to them and spends most of the time with them. My husband has been watering, feeding and cleaning for them this week but rarely picks them up for a chat like my son does.

We got a quick peek inside her mouth and there doesn't seem to be anything that looks like an ulcer or other type of sore... no pus etc. Just swelling around her lower jaw. I did take pictures and hopefully I can figure out how to post them. Ok there I got the pictures to post... bear in mind she was foraging before he picked her up so the black you see around her mouth is dirt... she does have some black specks on her comb which she and our other leghorns have had on and off since we have had them (the past six months) I want to do the best for her but have to do whatever needs to be done as economically as possible as my husband is currently unemployed. Any ideas as the what this is or what should be done? Thanks so much!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Im not sure jlblock. This looks different than sunflower's leg horn to be honest. Perhaps more serious. You could try internal antibiotics. If shes suffering. i'd put her down if it was my bird and antibiotics didn't help.

3. jlblock01

Jan 6, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    She doesn't appear to be suffering... she's eating , drinking, walking around just fine.. she was less enthusiastic about being with the flock today so I went ahead and isolated her for safety (wasn't sure if they would start to peck at her or if she was contagious) I have her inside in a large enclosed dog crate, keeping it dark for her and keeping her warm. I am having a difficult time locating any antibiotics ... went to three feed stores today. I have VetRx on hand, have been reading about colloidal silver this evening since I am striking out with the antibiotics! Not sure which path to take in the am! The pictures make it looks a bit worse than it is ... the black around her mouth is dirt because she was foraging for bugs when my son picked her up for a chat and noticed the swelling. Josie hen is his favorite so we would really hate to lose her! She seems less swollen this evening and the inside of her mouth remains clear... just that swollen area under her tongue but no lesions or pus etc. I will try to get another picture minus the dirt in the morning!
    Thanks for the response though I really appreciate it!

4. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Apple cider vinegar in her water? I don't know if its always a cure all but it may help compete out " bad" bacteria that could be infecting it. Ive been looking on Here for similar issues and only see more of the side of the face abscess stuff. Ive got kids attached to chickens too. I know how that goes!:)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  5. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Did a bit more searching and I'm thinking this could be Wet Pox (Fowl Pox that gets in the throat and mouth) Maybe recheck mouth and see if you can look down her throat a bit. I see a few bumpy lesions under her beak on the right side in the second picture. The dirt might be adhered to the lesions inside the beak. "willowbranchcreek" on that other thread called it out ->Canker is another term. The beak swelling could be an added complication in which there is secondary infection with yeast and or bacteria. Usually dry fowl pox needs to just ride out for a few days and it goes away. I think this wet is a bit trickier. Oral Antibiotics help with the secondary infection issues. If there's any lesions that look drainable I'd do that too with good flushes to the wound and antibiotic ointment after they're cleaned out. That's my stab in the dark on this one. I hope she gets better soon. Keep us updated on how it goes. There is a great avian one stop shop for medicine website I found in my research. Let me get the link for you. Only problem is having to wait for an order...but maybe you can get an idea of what you need from seeing the meds here.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
  7. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    For certain:
    • there's no need to consider putting your son's favorite chicken down at this point ...
    • this bird should be isolated from the flock (ideally, where she can see/hear them).
    • all waterers/feeders should be scrubbed/sterilized (mostly, to prevent secondary infection).
    • an astringent solution of Apple Cider Vinegar at the rate of four teaspoons to the gallon should be started immediately, and for your entire flock (but not in galvanized metal containers).

This may be the wet form of fowlpox, and you may be dealing w/ both the dry and the wet forms, but it also might just be an infection (staphylococcus, perhaps). The black spots on unfeathered areas are often indicative of the dry form of fowlpox, and flock can (and often do) have both forms at the same time. But, if it is fowlpox? Once you're done, you're done: They are not carriers for life.

What it is isn't among those 'for certain' things, but back to what is ...

1. Isolation, and good practices to avoid the spread of any bacteria/viri, is critical. Everyone should clean up both before and after bein' around any chicken, but most especially when they're showing symptoms of disease/illness. Remind your son not to hold her against his face, which he's really gonna wanna do ... he's gotta be mindful of infection -- not by fowlpox of course, but by the bacterial (there's always a risk, but it's a certainty now).
    2. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) does a whole bunch of good stuff, and can't hurt a single feather on any bird. Most importantly in your case, the tannins w/in the ACV reduce the viscosity of mucus, which helps birds to more easily expel it, and serves to 'cut through' coatings w/in the mouth, throat and intestines, which improves the uptake of vitamins/nutrients (which your flock needs most now) and any medications (which you may be soon providing). It also serves to reduce the presence of bacteria.

8. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    [​IMG]
    From your images, w/ filters and enhancements to better see the spots.

[​IMG]
    >> peck here << to google education websites for poultry, fowlpox & treatment​

Again: This MIGHT be what's goin' on w/ your birds ... it's hard to provide any diagnosis via the 'net, but you can check out some of the informations 'n take a much closer look at 'em all.

I'll check back later, review your findings, and follow up w/ additional suggestions ...

1 person likes this.
  9. jlblock01

Jan 6, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    We isolated her yesterday first thing and started the whole flock on water with ACV in a plastic waterer. The rest of the flock appear fine and are eating and doing all the things that chickens do! Josie (the ill chicken) is eating well this morning ... oatmeal with blueberries and some yogurt, she has water with ACV in it as well. I will look at the web link for medications someone provided and get an order in ! The swelling that did extend from one side to the other is now just a bit on both sides nothing in the middle... her eyes are still clear, no mucus discharge from her nose etc. We kept her in the house last night because we were concerned about her not being warm enough out near the others (it was mid 20's here last night) She rested well and is scratching around in the dog crate this morning peeking out at us trying to figure out where she is ! I will do some research on fowl pox and see what I see as suggestions for medications. Thanks so much for all the help!! This is our first flock so we are learning as we go after having done a great deal of research which apparently did not include enough preparation for illnesses! Though this is our first one!

10. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    jlblock: Cowcreekgeek is good here on byc and is always helping folks out. I'll be watching to see how Josie (love the name) turns out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by