Swelling at base of Pekin's bill

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pmcalhoun, Mar 17, 2015.

1. pmcalhoun

pmcalhoun New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    Minnesota
    Hello. I have a 2 1/2 year old male Pekin. Late last night, I noticed he has what looks like a lump/abscess underneath his bill. It's where his neck begins. Last night and today he has been acting very lethargic. Usually he's a hyper troublemaker. His quack is normal. I can't see any sort of obstruction, however it's difficult to get a good look. Does anyone have any idea what this might be?
    I should also mention that Melvin is in indoor duck. So he did not get into anything outdoors.
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is there a vet you could take him to? could be an infection and that means probably antibiotics. he looks so sweet I hope you can get him some help. Did you get a good luck under his tongue to make sure he hasn't anything lodged. Have someone hold him so you can get a good look. Once a person posted about their goose having swelling in the same place and once she was able to get a good look found a stick lodged under it's tongue might not be with your boy but a good look would rule it out.

3. pmcalhoun

pmcalhoun New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    Minnesota
    He does have an avian vet he's seen before. Unfortunately we moved a couple hours away from where their office is. I'm assuming antibiotics will be needed as well. I have tried looking in his mouth and throat a few times. There's nothing I can see. However, he doesn't make looking an easy task. I don't see any sort of cut or bite on the outside. He doesn't usually put foreign objects in his mouth, but it is possible. I will try to look in his bill more.
    Thank you :)

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I know what your saying closest Avian vet to us is 3hrs away. you could try some Baytril or Oxytetracycline. I haven't had to ever give any of my water fowl an antibiotic but have had to some of my chickens and I have used Baytril mostly. If you go to Poultry Pedia they have a list of meds that are safe for poultry and dosage I believe. Could he injured himself maybe came down onto something and hit his chin?

5. pmcalhoun

pmcalhoun New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    Minnesota
    Ill
    I know what your saying closest Avian vet to us is 3hrs away. you could try some Baytril or Oxytetracycline. I haven't had to ever give any of my water fowl an antibiotic but have had to some of my chickens and I have used Baytril mostly. If you go to Poultry Pedia they have a list of meds that are safe for poultry and dosage I believe. Could he injured himself maybe came down onto something and hit his chin?
    [/quot
    I will have to check that out.
    I'm fairly certain he didn't injure himself. We had a pretty quiet day yesterday. He actually hung out on the sofa quite a bit. It was when he had jumped down to get a drink that I noticed the initial swelling. Ever since, he's mostly wanted to sleep with his bill tucked under his wing. His bill felt pretty warm last night. It isn't as warm today, but the swelling is about the same.
    We added mealworms to his diet about 9 days ago. He has only been allowed a few per day. He ate a few yesterday afternoon before he had any swelling. They were live mealworms. To your knowledge, is it possible for a mealworm to be the culprit?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't know maybe some kind of bacteria entered from eating the live ones. You'd have to research that. I give mine dried ones. Doesn't sound like he is feeling so good.

7. pmcalhoun

pmcalhoun New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    Minnesota

He's definitely not being himself. I left a message with his vet. Antibiotics will probably be the best bet. For now, I've added a bit of apple cider vinegar to his drinking water.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hows your boy this morning?

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

10. pmcalhoun

pmcalhoun New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    Minnesota
    I didn't realize I had notifications in here. Melvin seems to be doing better. He's been acting like a little terror again in the last 36 hours (which is normal for him). His vet said that it's somewhat common for them to get debris under their tongues. Before putting him on antibiotics we're trying to "rinse" his mouth. So I've continued adding apple cider vinegar to his water. We've also done sea salt in warm water and he's being monitored whenever he eats. The swelling has gone down to about half the size it was a few days ago. If it goes back up and/or feels warm again, he'll have to go in.
    Thank you for asking :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by