Swelling getting g bigge.

BillinaOz

Hatching
Mar 2, 2015
About 3 weeks ago I noticed baby Florence was walking funny and had a small swelling on her belly. She started to waddle around and would sit like a dog. Almost like she was stood up all the time. I thought she may be egg bound but is still laying and alert and her fiesty self. After the swelying got bigger I took her to the vet who did an xray and tried to drain it button no avail it couldn't be drained.They checked her over. They said it might be a hernia like it's her intestines or something. The vet said keep an eye on her. It's been another week and the swelling looks bigger. She's still laying and eating pecking around but looks uncomfortable. If anyone could help I'd be ever so greatful. Apologies for poor English I'm typing this on my phone.

How old is she? Egg yolk peritonitis and internal laying can cause swelling in the abdomen, with an upright posture. It tends to affect hens 2-3 years and older, although it can happen earlier. Cancer could also be a problem.

She is about 18 months old now. When I go back to the vet will they be able to help her do you think? X

Your vet could xray her belly, which may confirm either EYP or fluid in the belly (ascites.) Other than antibiotics and removal of fluid occasionally if there is ascites, there is not much than can be done.

Back
Top Bottom