Swelling in between chicken's toes

melanienew

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 23, 2014
Last week I noticed that one of my chickens had some swelling between it's toes. I read about bumblefoot but my chicken's feet don't look as bad as some of the pictures I've seen

Does this look like bumblefoot to anybody? And if it is how can I treat it without going to a vet or doing my own surgery?
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Your chicken also looks normal to me. When you look at the bottom of her foot, is there any black scab? If not, I would say that she doesn't have bumblefoot.

I checked her foot last week but it was hard to get a good look because she hates being picked up and her feet were dirty from playing outside. I think I'm going to soak her feet in water with Epsom salts so they're nice and clean to try to get a good look again @Wyandottes7

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Your hen's feet look fine to me. It is normal for chickens to have fleshier parts between their toes, which may appear swollen/change in appearance depending on how the chicken stands.

True bumblefoot would make the entire footpad larger and more swollen, and you would probably see a black scab somwhere on the foot.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

That could be MS. Is it in the left foot of the bird? I had MS (mycoplasma synoviae) in my flock. It is a nasty bacterial infection. The foot joint of the left foot swells because synovial fluid is leaking out from the tendon sheaths of the leg. The first signs is the webbing between the toes swells on the left foot of the bird. It is contagious. Is the bird limping, is the joint red or the pad of the foot red? Is there heat at the joint? If the bird starts to limp really badly, the swelling gets worse and not from an injury, get some Denagard. It is an antibiotic that works great on MS and MG. Sometimes the fluid pools in the pad of the foot and you may have to drain the pad with bumblefoot surgery. Look for other signs of MS too....swelling at the hocks, lethargy, anorexia, yellow urates in the poop, eye infections, respiratory ailments, any strange behaviors to your flock that weren't there before.

Here is a link you can read about MS.....http://www.poultrynews.com/New/Diseases/Merks/203505.htm

Good luck and I hope this is just a fluke and not MS. I had a horrible time cleaning up my flock.

Last edited:
It is on her left foot! She doesn't seem to be limping or in any pain, but the swollen area is a little red. I will definitely keep an eye on the swelling and check for any heat and keep an eye on her poop. She hasn't shown any signs of lethargy or anorexia or anything else though. Thank you so much for your insight! @TwoCrows

It is on her left foot! She doesn't seem to be limping or in any pain, but the swollen area is a little red. I will definitely keep an eye on the swelling and check for any heat and keep an eye on her poop. She hasn't shown any signs of lethargy or anorexia or anything else though. Thank you so much for your insight! @TwoCrows
Just keep an eye on her. This could be an injury, nothing or possibly MS. If she starts to really go lame over this next month, or comes down with any funky symptoms along with this webbing swelling, I would consider getting her started on Denagard just in case.

Keep me posted! PM (private message) me if this starts to get serious. I can help you through this if this blows up into a case of MS. Keeping my fingers crossed this is nothing! :)

Welcome to the Backyard chicken flock, I hope your chicken's foot turns out to be no cause for alarm. I do see a little puffiness between 2 toes but, it may be normal for her.

Back
Top Bottom