Swelling of the neck...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovin'mychicks, May 6, 2009.

1. lovin'mychicks

lovin'mychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    On of my bantam hens has been acting very lethargic for the past few days. She stays hunched over and seems to have a swelling on the left side of her neck just below her head. Her eyes look hazy and I don't think she is eating well. Just this morning, I noticed my rooster Pretty Boy is now not crowing and is keeping his wings close to the ground. I am worried. I only have one other hen in the pen with them (they are in by breeding pen.)

I want these chickens to be okay but most importantly I want to prevent what ever this is from spreading. They are on a healthy diet appropriate for laying bantams and their pen is clean and neat. They have clean/dry housing and plenty of roosting and nesting space. My husband said that he noticed some green droppings in there this morning. I have isolated the hen that is still looking/acting normal.

Please help!!! Here they are about a month ago looking healthy!

[​IMG]

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Can you get a pic of the swelling, as well as a good pic of her eyes? Are they greyish, or are the pupils unusual?

What brand of feed?

Age of birds?

Introduced new birds lately?

Other symptoms? Eyes and nostrils clear? Breathing problems? Bloody droppings? Crops emptying overnight?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by