1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Swelling on sides of lower beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wagoncab, Jul 28, 2013.

1. wagoncab

wagoncab Songster

May 15, 2008
    Charlotte
    Hi All;
    I have about a 3 month old cochin chick that has what appears to be swelling on both sides of his lower beak.
    He seems to have kind of always had this so I did not know if it was something normal to the breed and he has
    acted normal up to this point so I never paid any attention to it.
    Today I noticed he was acting a little "Off" so I picked him up and he is very thin. I brought him inside and gave him
    some feed and he dove right in. That is when I noticed him having trouble eating. I looked at him again and now there
    is an open spot and it looks more swollen on the one side. It does not feel soft or mushy but feels hard.
    Any ideas as to what this might be?
    Thanks
    Cindy

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    Could you post a picture?

3. wagoncab

wagoncab Songster

May 15, 2008
    Charlotte
    [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you looked inside his beak? You might do a search for canker (a fungus infection) and wet fowl pox at the search at the top of the page.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    That doesn't look very good. I would suspect canker, unless he's been outside around wild birds/mosquitoes, and then wet pox could be a possibility.

6. wagoncab

wagoncab Songster

May 15, 2008
    Charlotte
    Hello;
    Thanks for the reply.
    I looked up both canker and the fowl pox.It appears to be neither of those.
    I looked inside his mouth and it is clear. He is acting ok now, I still am keeping
    him to himself so I know he gets plenty to eat.
    Cindy in Tn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: