Swelling on Silkie chicks upperbeak & ear..Fowl pox?? A growth? What IS this?

Debbienmousey

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Washington, Georgia, USA
On Sunday (the 23rd) I noticed my almost four-week old Partridge Silkie baby "Nutmeg" was holding his mouth open, and it looked like he had something stuck in it, like a piece of wood mulch or mud. When I caught him (He lives outside with his mom, dad, "uncle", and "aunt") I tried to get it out, but found that it was kinda soft and squishy, but attached. Took him inside to take a better look, got out the Q-tips and started poking around. We were able to get a little bit of the "stuff" that was outside of his mouth off from the left side (I think it is) and it did not bleed, but the rest was definitely attached to the roof of his mouth, and it was kind of an off-white/light pinkish color. I didn't know what I could put on it so we just swabbed a little virgin coconut oil on the outsides of his mouth and tried to get some on the roof of his mouth. We've done this at least once a day for the past several days since we found it. In the last two days I've also noticed that his left earlobe is getting very swollen or scabbed and really doesn't look good. His right earlobe looks about normal- although it also looks like it might be starting to swell/scab. Twice today we applied iodine to his ears and again the coconut oil to his mouth. It also looks like the bottom part of his beak may be beginning to swell as well, though you can't really tell in the photos. Since Sunday, the upper beak swelling does not appear to have gotten any worse or better. He can eat and drink, though he has a bit of trouble with both. He is still fairly active in his coop & run, but the lack of being able to use his beak correctly is starting to get to him.

What's worse is this- two days ago I noticed one of my new almost two-week old Paint babies has a small swelling/scab on the right side of his mouth. It looks a bit like Nutmeg's, but not as bad yet. We swabbed it with iodine.

We had the dry fowl pox in the fall/winter of 2009, but I didn't have any Silkies then. I know what pox scabs look like on red combed/pink-skinned birds, but have never seen it on a dark-skinned bird. I think it is probably not fowl pox because I haven't seen any other signs of it, except that 1-2 weeks ago I did notice one of my young mix breed cockerels in a cage inside the main free-range pen did have a couple scabs on his comb that looked a little unusual. Other than that the only other thing would be that Nutmeg's mother also seemed to have a scab or two on her face above her beak. But like I said, I've never seen pox scabs on a dark skinned bird, and since the scabs are dark themselves, I think it'd be harder to see them and make sure they are pox scabs. I've also never had pox with such young babies before- does it affect chicks differently since their faces are more fuzzy? (Less open skin) Or could this be something completely different? A bug bite, maybe? I'm hoping we can figure out what it is..I do not want to lose these babies. The Paint also lives with his mom (in a different coop than Nutmeg). She does not have any scabs, but also has seven other babies.

Sorry that the photos are so bad, but it's hard to hold a chick and take pics, especially when your zoom feature doesn't work anymore. Click on them to make 'em bigger :). Thanks for any help!

Oh my, that doesn't look good at all. I'm sorry, I can't be of any help other then to say maybe you could give them supportive therapy and give them vitamins and electrolytes to help them through whatever it is. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will come along and offer some better advice. My first thought was, get the poor little thing to a vet!

Is there anyway that you can get a clear picture of the inside of the mouth? Or anything that came off of it? To me iodine (diluted) does sound like a good idea. But I am no chicken vet. :hugs

Oh no poor babies! I hope you're able to find out what's causing that, especially since it seems to be contagious. Put those babies together in quarantine if possible, and sanitize your brooders and everything very well.

Hopefully someone can tell you how to treat these two.
sad.png

I've added electrolytes to their waterers today. I wish I could take them to a vet but I don't know of one around here that treats chickens. Everybody I've asked has said "no".

Any particular kind of antibiotic you would recommend, Lacrystol? I think they sell some for parrots and such at Petsmart?

I can try getting another picture, maybe use the iPhone..The lower part of his mouth does look a little yellowish, but only faintly. The upper part is more scabbed, brownish looking with a little red. The paint baby's swelling is mostly red, maybe slightly yellowish. And yes just to clarify I am diluting the iodine.

Gallo, thanks for posting the link, it does kind of sound like that. I don't know where to get any of these drugs.. There is no oozing though, nothing around the eyes, they're both still very active, but Nutmeg is losing weight. It's been at least 6 days, but probably a few more than that since the upper beak thing was already that big when I saw it on Sunday. I just can't believe I missed this! Ugh..

Sounds like a weekend of cleaning for me..Do you think these two babies will get along together okay? Neither one will be very happy to leave their moms..Thank you for all the replies. Off to does them with the diluted iodine and coconut oil again until I can get something else. Oh, do you think the adults can get this/might already have it?? I have no idea where they would've gotten it from besides the wild birds (which don't frequent their pens, as far as I've seen)

You might be able to find Fishzole (Metronidazole) locally, but I think it's pretty expensive and treatment success seems to be hit and miss. There are a few threads to read here and here, but also see this thread here. Sometimes it can be difficult to distinguish that from Fowl pox and other problems. I hope your birds have the latter. In any event, you should separate them until you know what's going on. Canker is transmitted to other birds through the water and food. They sometimes will have difficulty eating because the lesions get so large they can't get the food down their throat, it falls out, and other birds eat the contaminated food. Good luck.

Last edited:
You might be able to find Fishzole (Metronidazole) locally, but I think it's pretty expensive and treatment success seems to be hit and miss. There are a few threads to read here and here, but also see this thread here. Sometimes it can be difficult to distinguish that from Fowl pox and other problems. I hope your birds have the latter. In any event, you should separate them until you know what's going on. Canker is transmitted to other birds through the water and food. They sometimes will have difficulty eating because the lesions get so large they can't get the food down their throat, it falls out, and other birds eat the contaminated food. Good luck.
Funny you mention Metronidazole. I know nothing about it's use for chickens, but I recently picked up some for my fish, and it was labelled as Metronidazole by Seachem. It is a powder that is sold in a tube. $8.99 at my local fish store, if that helps. I have no idea what the dosage would be for a chick though.

I sure hope these little ones get better soon! I can imagine little Nutmeg would be losing weight. I think they would do ok together if they're not more than a couple weeks apart in age. Oxine is a great disinfectant.

Another idea I just had. I believe the cultures in yogurt are good for canker sores and other things... I could be wrong on that, but yogurt IS good for chickens in general, so I think you should consider giving them a yogurt and chick starter food mix. Maybe softened food will be easier for Nutmeg to eat? I think that's the biggest thing right now, is to make sure he can eat.

Back
Top Bottom