Swidish or Cayuga

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by logans ducks, Jul 8, 2016.

1. logans ducks

logans ducks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2016
    What breed is better for a small pet flock

2. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, what are you looking for?
    For example:
    how many eggs do you want per week?
    How many ducks do you want?
    Do you want good mothers?
    Are you looking for a good meat bird?
    What else?

3. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Here's a list of duck breeds for you. I know you said Swedish or Cayuga, but I want you to be able to compare.
    Breed Uses, Egg Laying Rate Weight Temperament
    Cayuga Meat, Eggs (100-180/year) 6-7 lbs Calm, Quiet
    Swedish Meat, Eggs (100-160/year) 5.5-7 lbs Calm, Good forager
    Silver
    Appleyard
    Meat, Eggs (200-280/year) 7.5-9 lbs Calm, Forager, Tame, Good Mother, Beautiful
    Rouen (Commercial) Meat, Eggs (100-180/year) 5.5-7 lbs Calm, Good Mother
    Runner Eggs (200-290/year) 4.5-6 lbs Active, Some are nervous, Colourful
    Welsh Harlequin Eggs (280-340/year) 4-5.5 lbs Tame, Quiet
    Khaki Campbell Eggs (280-350/year)
    4-5.5
    lbs
    Can Be Nervous
    Pekin Meat, Eggs (100-160/year) 9-12 lbs) Calm, Big, Grows Fast, Picks Clean, Tame, Talkative
    Call Pets, Eggs (100 or so/year) 500 grams Talkative, Small, Colorful
    Magpie Eggs (140-250/year) 4.5-6 lbs Pretty, Calm, Good with heat, foragers
    Ancona Meat, Eggs (120-190/year) 6.5-8 lbs Pretty, calm, foragers
    Muscovy Meat, Broody (only 35-120 eggs/year) 8-12 lbs Tasty, Foragers, Can Fly, Excellent Mothers, Less at risk from predators (still at risk though)
    Dutch Hookbill Meat, Eggs (100-160/year) 6.5-8 lbs Calm, excellent foragers, pretty
    Crested Meat, Eggs (115-200/year) 5.5-7 lbs Pretty, foragers, good pets, hard to breed

4. logans ducks

Jul 8, 2016
    There going to be pets and egg to sale and my let them raise a few

5. logans ducks

Jul 8, 2016
    I think I'm going to go with call after reading I relay like the facts about them do you know anything about them

6. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes. Call eggs are very small, (maybe small size eggs or smaller), so selling them might be moderate to difficult. I believe call ducks raise their own, but Call babies are very delicate and can not be shipped until 2+ weeks. Call ducks come in many shapes and colors, but emphasis for breeding is placed on a medium-short bill, very steep forehead, round body (not fat) and excellent plumage. Calls come in black,white, fawn and white, blue fawn, cumberland blue, gray (wild color), etc. Call ducks only are 500 grams at maturity compared to the 6-8 pound Swedish or Cayuga. Also, calls can fly, so you must roof their pen or clip their primary flight feathers. They are talkative, so take this into consideration if you have neighbours. Because they are much more predator-prone, special fencing must be used to contain ducklings and adults. They can not free range or they are very likely to be eaten within a few days.
    Calls make excellent pets because they are very dependent, tame, and small, and eat less than other breeds. However in cold climates they benefit from tighter housing than other breeds.

7. logans ducks

Jul 8, 2016
    Ok I have the farm house chicken coop from tsc and I'm going to make the stairs better but I'm adding 5 or 6 foot long and 2 or 3 foot wide with a small kiddie pool

8. logans ducks

Jul 8, 2016
    Also should I put my pull in the ground or out of the ground and make a ramp

9. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Well.... for space you want 2 sq ft for Calls, per duck, and 3-4 sq ft per duck for other breeds. Then 10sqft/duck in the outdoor area (or more). Plan for extra space because it's very likely you will end up with more ducks.
    Having a ramp for your pool will keep it cleaner, and it will be easier to clean, but putting it in the ground may be more aesthetically appealing. It's up to you.

10. logans ducks

Jul 8, 2016
    Ty

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by