swimming pool danger?

The Pink Chick

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 11, 2015
Hello
My girls free range my backyard and go into the coop at night. We currently have a safety fence around our pool. Our son is now completely water safe and we'd like to take the eye sore around the pool down. How smart or dumb are chickens around a pool? I'm not concerned about chicken poo since we don't use the pool and for the next few months we have free loading ducks visiting anyway.

Hello
My girls free range my backyard and go into the coop at night. We currently have a safety fence around our pool. Our son is now completely water safe and we'd like to take the eye sore around the pool down. How smart or dumb are chickens around a pool? I'm not concerned about chicken poo since we don't use the pool and for the next few months we have free loading ducks visiting anyway.
I have a kiddie pool in my backyard for my ducks and my chickens will drink out of it occasionally but I've never had any problems with it

Welcome! Chickens aren't water birds, and will not make it out of the pool alive. I'd guess that someone will try to fly over it, and land in it, and not do well.
Not having a pool, I don't really know. I lost only one bird in a livestock water tank, years ago. It's not like a swimming pool, though.
Mary

I would get rid of the pool as it is just a hazard to many creatures and children. I had an outdoor pool, never again, I had to fish out dead squirrels almost daily. Though I did not mind the dear drinking out of it,,,,

I'd like to think chickens would be smart enough to not walk into a body of water, but one of mine went for a walk on the pond, obviously trying to give me a heart attack (it's so weedy she was able to walk in several feet!) Thankfully she turned around and came back on her own.

We don't have a pool, but we do have a goldfish pond that our chickens occasionally drink out of. It is a little bigger than a traditional kiddie pool and probably just deep enough for them to drown in it if they did happen to fall in. However, none of ours have ever drowned in it.

I suppose accidents could always happen though, and the wider/deeper the water, the more concerned I would be just because I know my chickens tend to fly over a creek that runs through our yard too, rather than walk through it. If a chicken tried to fly over a pool and failed, I doubt it would end well.

You could always get a tarp and weigh down the sides and each time your not able to check on it (if you leave the house or go to sleep) just put the cover on. That's what I would do at least, and it can help keep your pool clean lol

Back
Top Bottom