Swimming pool dangers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gary Rose, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Gary Rose

Gary Rose New Egg

Nov 7, 2008
    I know it's obvious that if a chicken gets in a pool, school's out BUT. . . does anyone have an in-ground pool that is not fenced off that has chickens safely in the area? I guess my question should be: are chickens attracted to water or do they pretty much avoid it or ??? I don't want to get any chickens yet if they would tend to be attracted to the pool.

Thanks for any experiences that you've had that might help me.

Gary Rose

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    My chickens avoid my pool.

3. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    I was worried about it as well-- my chickens roam a fenced acre, with an unfenced pool in the middle of it.

But like krcote, the chickens seem to avoid the pool, and thus far, we've had no casualties (knock wood!)

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

We've never had a problem with the pool. I think they are more interested in other things... like the veggie garden. [​IMG]

5. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    I dont think they like the chlorine smell

6. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    This is a way to aid the gene pool, no pun intended, if they drown they are not very smart, lol.

Cheri

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I have an unfenced small pond in my backyard. For the past 5+ years any and all chickens have avoided it, until last week. Twice I looked out on Monday and one of the young hens was standing in the pond (shallow section). since they freerange unsupervised all day long, I decided to ignore it. They can't jump in the deep end. (It's covered with net to keep out the herons)

Imp-has swimming chickens

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Tons of people keep chickens around ducks with ponds or other farms with small ponds and don't have many losses. If they are spooked they might accidentally fall in but while chickens aren't great swimmers they can usually manage to stay afloat long enough to get back out if the side isn't too high from the water.

9. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Based on everyone else's advice, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about, but after reading this thread I just couldn't resist sharing:

Have you all heard about the chicken who fell in a pond and was given cpr -- here's the Jay leno clip of the interview with the rescuer - true story (7 minutes long)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4629842314544841906

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by