swimming pool

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickennovice, Apr 10, 2007.

1. chickennovice

chickennovice Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    I am new to chicken ownership and am planning out where to put my coop. I have an in ground pool as well as gardens to consider. Do I need to be concerned about the chickens going in the pool? Any info. on chickens and pools would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Chickens aren't ducks, they can't swim. I think you are going to either need to fence the chickens or fence the pool.

3. robbobbin

robbobbin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2007
    Certainly consider the pool as a problem area. I have read on more than one occasion about people having chicks and adult birds both, drown in wading pools let alone a full size pool. I think they lean in for a drink and lose their footing, falling in and can't get out! Terrible!!
    About your garden--My chickens think any fresh turned dirt is an invitation for a dust bath, not to mention all the nice fresh greens and bugs!! It'll be a problem also!!
    Dang chickens, can't live with them, can't live without them!!! lol

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Yep... They are right up there with the husbands, aren't they? [​IMG]
    I have a swimming pool and I've only seen one chicken look in it. Other than that, they stay away from it. They seem too concerned with where I am and where the grass and dirt is. However, I do not let them out unsupervised.

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I'm not an expert here as I don't have a pool. However, there are times when I see my chickens suddenly fly off because something spooked them. I would be concerned that one might end up in the pool, especially on a windy day, by accident.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by