1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Swimming space?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lil Chickie Mama, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Songster

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I am planning on getting quite a few more birdies next spring and I'm adding 7 geese (with 1 breeding trio) and 8-13 ducks- depending on availability of breed and gender- to my existing chicken flock. I'm adding other animals too, but that's the only waterfowl. For that many swimmers with the possibility of ducklings/goslings, how much swimming space would I need? The breeding ones I chose don't need water to mate and I know they all don't NEED water, but I'd like to keep them extra happy. I can't go all out and build a pond, but I don't want there to be territory issues over the water that I give them. Also, as some of them may be a little big is a kiddie pool even deep enough for them? What do you suggest? Just buy a few thousand kiddie pools? [​IMG] Okay, maybe more like 3 or so? [​IMG]

2. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Songster

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    I think buying a few kiddie pools may cost to much and be alot to loko after, possibly look for a plastic pond, one that is already made, or and old swimming pool with a ramp going up to it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by