Swimming space?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lil Chickie Mama, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I am planning on getting quite a few more birdies next spring and I'm adding 7 geese (with 1 breeding trio) and 8-13 ducks- depending on availability of breed and gender- to my existing chicken flock. I'm adding other animals too, but that's the only waterfowl. For that many swimmers with the possibility of ducklings/goslings, how much swimming space would I need? The breeding ones I chose don't need water to mate and I know they all don't NEED water, but I'd like to keep them extra happy. I can't go all out and build a pond, but I don't want there to be territory issues over the water that I give them. Also, as some of them may be a little big is a kiddie pool even deep enough for them? What do you suggest? Just buy a few thousand kiddie pools? [​IMG] Okay, maybe more like 3 or so? [​IMG]

2. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    I think buying a few kiddie pools may cost to much and be alot to loko after, possibly look for a plastic pond, one that is already made, or and old swimming pool with a ramp going up to it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by