swimming?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gemma24, Jun 29, 2016.

1. gemma24

gemma24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    teach my chicken to swim, we live by a pond...I have gotten him to like water...[​IMG]

Abriana likes this.
  2. gemma24

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    can I teach him?

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Chickens will get water logged and drown if they can't touch bottom and get out.

4. gemma24

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    k...just wondering[​IMG]

5. ECMurray

ECMurray Out Of The Brooder

I would disagree. Chickens can swim! :) Or rather, float happily along. :D Just like ducks, minus the paddling ability. I've seen it with my own chickens. It's the getting-them-to-like it that's difficult . . . :he . . . ;) I think it's great for really hot days when they need to cool down.

6. Abriana

Abriana Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2017
    my blue coop
    Thats so cool. My hens hate water. They were so dirty after our muddy winter and so i wanted to give them a bath. They hated it. One of my Ameraucanas likes to walk through my creek. Maybe i could teach her to swim...

7. ECMurray

ECMurray Out Of The Brooder

Lol. :D Storey's guide to raising chickens says they should get used to a nice, warm bubble bath eventually. My hens swim, but only for a few moments . . . Then they freak out! :barnieI think they're getting used to it though. My Rhode island red is doing a lot better than the Buff Orpington. I'm pretty sure it's because she's more docile. Eh, go figure. :confused:

Abriana likes this.
  8. Abriana

Abriana Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2017
    my blue coop
    Lol. I had a chicken with a lot of poop on her feathers and she had vent gleet and so i gave her a warm epsom salt bath and she relaxed so much that she almost sat down in the water and fell asleep!

ECMurray likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by