swimming

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kat, Mar 30, 2008.

1. kat

kat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    barnsley. england
    does anyone know when we can let our duckilings swim?

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    ducklings can swim after a few days old, but they must only be in the water for a short time, as their down absorbs the water, and they get chilled very quickly. They must be supervised at all times, and the water shallow.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    How shallow should the water be? 2 inches or 3 inches?

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I would keep the water only 2-3 inches at first, if they are still a few days old. The water must be easy in and out. they must be able to get out and dry off when needed.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I let mine swim when they're a couple of days old in water deep enough they don't touch the bottom, but I'm right there with them and I limit their swim time so they don't get waterlogged and chilled. Make sure they get under the heat lamp to dry out well after their swim.

6. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    how long should they swim before they get taken out?

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think I usually limit it to probably 5 minutes the first few times. Can't say I really ever have timed it. [​IMG] You just don't want them getting chilled.

8. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    ok Thanks [​IMG]

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    When I asked this and Katy said she lets hers swim at a couple of days, I decided to try it. Mine are only a few days old and the past two days have had supervised swim (and poop LOL) time in my bathtub. They LOVE it and it is soooooooooo cute!!!! I have the water shallow enough that they can stand at any time and I don't even turn my head for a second. I treat it just like when I was bathing my children as babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by