Critter Crazy

Songster
12 Years
Apr 19, 2007
Binghamton, NY
ducklings can swim after a few days old, but they must only be in the water for a short time, as their down absorbs the water, and they get chilled very quickly. They must be supervised at all times, and the water shallow.

Last edited:

Critter Crazy

Songster
12 Years
Apr 19, 2007
Binghamton, NY
I would keep the water only 2-3 inches at first, if they are still a few days old. The water must be easy in and out. they must be able to get out and dry off when needed.

Katy

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
Kansas~50+ yrs of chickens
I let mine swim when they're a couple of days old in water deep enough they don't touch the bottom, but I'm right there with them and I limit their swim time so they don't get waterlogged and chilled. Make sure they get under the heat lamp to dry out well after their swim.

Katy

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
Kansas~50+ yrs of chickens
I think I usually limit it to probably 5 minutes the first few times. Can't say I really ever have timed it.
You just don't want them getting chilled.

luvmychicknkids

Canning Squirrel
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Floresville, Texas
When I asked this and Katy said she lets hers swim at a couple of days, I decided to try it. Mine are only a few days old and the past two days have had supervised swim (and poop LOL) time in my bathtub. They LOVE it and it is soooooooooo cute!!!! I have the water shallow enough that they can stand at any time and I don't even turn my head for a second. I treat it just like when I was bathing my children as babies.

Top Bottom