1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SWINE FLU PANDEMIC? Mx, NY, TX, KS...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mahonri, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I hope we don't see this in the US.

Those of us along the border (or metro areas with flights from MX) need to take precautions.

SWINE FLU

.In NY Prep School?

What I want to know is this: Why haven't the borders been shut down and flights cancelled?

Do we have homeland security or not?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, WHO says there's reason for concern but still has the world pandemic level at 3 so I don't imagine that's high enough to concern Homeland Security.
    Me, I'm a little worried.

3. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    Gag. We're all gonna die.

4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I saw that, the news said a 10 year old boy traveled from calif. to tx ,now 2 confirmed cases in t
    x now. Scarey! [​IMG]

now 8 in tx

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Swine, as in pig? Or a rampant flu bug that is spread rapidly??? SoCal here, reason for concern.....

6. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Isn't it already in Tx and Ca. Kind of late to close the border. Maybe it will be like Captain Tripps. Scary.

7. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Quote:In Mexico they are requesting that people avoid contact with children, since as usual the children have a lower resistance. The cases reported in the states have been handled with Tamiflu. This is a new strain of Swine Flu, it has avian strains as well as human flu.

8. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Luckily, it appears to be a mild influenza.
    It seems to be affecting healthy adults mostly though which is concerning.

9. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:I think you'll be ok. Just don't go kissing any pigs(or any people that have been kissing pigs) [​IMG]

10. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    None of the people who became ill thus far have had any interaction with pigs...only infected humans. I hope that warmer, drier Spring weather takes the punch out of this virus quick. In the meanwhile if I were in border states, TX, or CA I'd be taking this very seriously.

This seems to be a cross-species virus that has particles from swine, avian, and human strains.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by