swine flu...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spoolin, May 3, 2009.

1. spoolin

spoolin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    is there any vaccine you can get to help out with the flock just in case they get it?

2. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    I would think not. This is a new virus that has not been seen before. genetic material from swine avian and human. They are working on a human vac now so i doubt there is one for chickens. i have never heard of a flu vaccine for animals. anyone else? ErinM

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    there aren't any for humans, so i'm sure there are none for birds. i would just suggest extra high bio security.

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    cnn just said the farmer and pigs from canada, pigs got the flu strain from the farmer who had been in mexico, have all recovered from the flu. they didn't say how they were treated but did say they survived and recovered.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  5. btrent94

btrent94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Glendale, AZ
    im putting out my neighbors little dogs to keep the pigeons away to avoid them bringing it in .. how sad would it be for me to lose all my girls and they are only about a month and its my first ever flock [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They say it's suppose to be mild.

Well I don't know what my little girl has but she's been throwing up with stomach cramps and coughing. We've all been staying away and WASHING everything! I'm just hoping its a 24 hour bug... but its been since yesterday morning. I stayed home from Church with her today.
    I doubt my wife will let her go to school tomorrow.... if it were me, I'd be taking her to the pediatrician but my wife doesn't believe in doctors so we have faith she'll get better soon.

7. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    Quote:does she have a fever?
    I would take her to the doctor if she doesn't get better in 24 hours, better safe than sorry!

8. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    I t is not being spread by birds.as far that si being known. the pidgeons should not bring it to your flock. but better safe than sorry! ErinM

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Tamiflu only works if started within 48 hours of symptoms starting. Any fever over 101 F or so and I would be rushing her in before it is too late. Any flu can kill a child. This is a new one our bodies have not been exposed to before. It is NOT worth the risk.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  10. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Quote:That's pretty ironic, ain't it? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by