1. chickenvirgin

chickenvirgin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Blaine Lake, SK
    I was just wondering who is or is not getting a swine flu shot and if not why?

2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Not, because they have mercury in them. In fact, the seasonal flu shots are for the most part the same. Some don't, and some have tiny amounts (but they are considered free of mercury).

Even if I did want one, I'd be out of luck. They're not here yet. I can't even get a seasonal flu shot for my kids. The health dep't says to try back in Nov. Brilliant.

Flu Mist does not have mercury. I haven't found anywhere around here that has this.

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I've only had 1 flu shot in my life, but I'm giving serious thought to getting one this year. Unfortunately, the swine flu shot isn't available here yet.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I know that they are offering them at my kids schools. My youngest is in the 5th grade, and she brought home a paper giving permission to have the shot. I'm thinking of letting her. I also know my highschoolers have said something too. Not sure about my daughter in middle school though. [​IMG]

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

If you are allergic to eggs or laytex you can't take the flu shot. My husband has had the regular shot but not the swine flu shot. They are only offering it here to people under the age of 18 until they get more of it. They it's because that age group is at a higher risk of getting it and passing it around.

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    It's not the mercury that's the biggest problem. It's that they are using an adjuvant that is oil-based and some in the medical community think that an oil-based adjuvant can cause your body to attack lipids in the future...like joints and brain cells...essentially cell walls are made of lipids...ugly mess if that's true!!

Look up Squalene. It's on the FDA site. Scary bit of news.

7. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    I have gotten my flu shot, as have my inlaws. Still trying to get my husband down to Walgreens *it's cheaper than my Dr's office copay

My daughter has to wait because she is 13 and walgreens won't touch her. Dr's office doesn't have any flu shot yet.

We WILL be getting the swine flu and here is why...because normally we wouldn't touch an untested vaccine here with a 10 foot pole.

I have 2 autoimmune diseases Sjogrens, which is similar to Lupus in behavior but it attacks the moisture producing glands primarily and then can in the background go after other things, and Celiac Disease (that's the no wheat, rye barley one because I can't have gluten).

My husband has Multiple Sclerosis, any illness can push him right into an exacerbation and he has already had bronchitis so far this year.

We need to keep this out of our house if at all possible.

If we can get my daughter the mist, then great. However, neither my husband nor I can have a live virus innoculation. The Mist is a Live Virus just like the Oral Polio. So we are stuck with the injections.

Laney

8. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

My 3 youngest brought home permission papers for the h1n1 flu shots - I will not be allowing my 3 to take the shot - I won't be taking the shot either.

9. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    I haven't and I won't because they have all kinds of stuff that was never intended to be in the human body. And it is no worse than any other flu in fact more people died last year from the common flu than the swine flu. And with that said yes winter is not here yet but never the less the swine flu at this moment still has about 95% to catch up on.

And I had it my son had it my husband had it and it really was no worse than any flu I have ever had and we all survived. So now I'm immuned to that strain naturally.

And with that being said there are many, many, many other strains. Not to mention this vaccine was given in the 70's(?) and it did a great deal of harm and no good.

Plus there is a US navy ship that had a 28% death rate due to the vaccine about a month ago.

No shot for me.

10. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Not because I had the shot in 1976 and was sick for the next 6 months. Not going there again.
    (retired RN)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by