swing making ???

mowgli457

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013
people have mentioned several times making a swing for their chickens , i would love to make one just not sure on what end result should look like. was hoping if anyone had one that the birds actually used and enjoyed they could post a pic ?

They're easy to make. I made one a year ago and none of them would use it. It upset them when they tried to jump onto it and it took off with them.

I used a one and a half inch dowel, 30 inches long, so as to afford plenty of room for flapping wings. Install eye screws to attach chains to, and most important, install another smaller stick two feet above the perch dowel for stability. It keeps the swing from folding in on itself when a chicken hops off. This could injure the chicken if she's caught in it.

I did have more luck with hanging a small swing for baby chicks years ago. My adult chicken were just too suspicious of the thing. It's now just lying on the scrap pile.

Last edited:
Are you saying the "stability stick" is parallel to the perch stick? Or are there two placed vertically in line with the chains? After using a swing with the chicks, are you happy with the end result, and do you consider it to be a good addition to your coop/run???

I took it down because they wouldn't use it. The minute one would jump on, it would swing and scare them all. I glad I didn't buy the thing - they're expensive.

The stability stick isn't shown in my photo because I added it later. It's parallel to the perch dowel. It prevents the chains from folding inward when a chicken jumps off. The chains could wrap around the chicken's neck and break it. I suppose it could work just as well to tie vertical sticks to the chains just above the perch dowel.

I made one much like asgous. I haven't seen them use it but there is evidence that they do when I'm not there.

Maybe some chickens would use a swing. But those 5-month old chicks pictured with the swing were the only ones that showed any interest in it, and they quickly gave up on it. The adults, including the EE pictured directly under the swing, never would give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom