Swing set run w/recycled materials coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PetRock, Aug 18, 2010.

1. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    We aren't quite finished with our coop and run but someone posted an interest in seeing swing set coops/runs so I thought that I would post pics of ours. First, I want to let you know that my dear hubby is a make it work with what we have builder. I had all kinds of grand plans for what I wanted but I had to compromise based on the materials we had on hand. In addition to limited materials and tools, DH had surgery on his left hand in April so he did it all with one working hand and a second one that was only useful for propping things on. It's not perfect in terms of construction but it was a labor of love and I appreciate all the work he put into it.

When our kids were younger, DH built a tall pipe swing set for them. It became the frame work for our run. Using old lumber we had sitting around, he added on a raised coop on one side. We used to do lots of theater with the kids and had all kinds of plywood flats from sets so that was used for the walls, floors, and roof. The siding was given to us several years ago by a friend who had it left over from an add on that they did. The cinderblocks were left over from our raised bed garden. We did have to buy the hardware, the hardware cloth, and some chicken wire as well as the PVC pipe for the feeders and the waterers. We still need to attach the apron around the bottom, add another layer of chicken wire or hardware cloth to the top of the run, attach a cover for the feeder, add another window in the end of the coop for more ventilation, and hopefully add bump out nest boxes to replace the ones in the coop. But it is functional as it is and I'm so happy to have the brooder out of my family room! I miss the little peeps but I was so tired of the dust covering everything! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    [​IMG] NICE!! Love it! LOL I love the vanilla tree! Is it working for ya to reduce the flies?

3. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Thank you! I just hung up the vanilla trees a couple days ago. I use DE with the sand and we don't usually have very many flies in the run. But this week they seemed to be swarming so I'm giving the trees a try. The run is due for a raking and some more DE. That's on the list of things to do this weekend. [​IMG]

4. downstownlady

downstownlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    We are using the swing set method (if you want to call it that...LOL). I wish that we had thought to raise the floor to the Hen House a little higher...but inspite of the limited space, they seem to like going underneath it anyway. GREAT JOB!!!

5. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Thank you! I would love to pics of yours! It was really DH's idea to raise the coop. But I negotiated for the extension of the run underneath the coop. I've already warned DH that I would like to have him enclose the rest of the space under the second half of the coop to use for storage or as a small run for the babies I plan to get next spring. [​IMG]

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    That's the finest right-handed coop I've seen! [​IMG]

7. animalover

animalover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA
    Lovely! I'm interested in how you made your water bucket.

8. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Went back and searched and searched for vanilla trees.....finally found them!! So, how do they work. Just put them on my walmart list! I love new ideas!

9. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Thank you! It's a work in progress! [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Very nice! I can't believe your DH did that one handed! You have given me lots of ideas for my kids fort/swing set when they outgrow it!

I'm not criticizing you, just curious: Why do some sides of the run have hardware cloth and some have chicken wire?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by